HOW TO: Create multiple settings for the same them (Clone/Child/Other?)

Re: HOW TO: Create multiple settings for the same them (Clone/Child/Other?)

by Brian Rigwald -
Number of replies: 2

Thanks Richard!  (I'm glad you understand us teacher, hehehe.)  Besides like change occasionally, the biggest impetus for the desire to figure this out is that my current theme (Evolve-D) is no longer supported and am afraid that I will soon run into something incompatible, which will make me have to use a different theme.  Our school district's theme selection is sparse, except for what I request.  My co-teacher and I are heavy Moodle users, but there aren't that many Moodle users in the district.  (Most don't realize what it can do, beyond just storing a classes documents in PDF form for students to download when absent, hehehe.)  As a result, our 2 tech people don't invest a lot of time to explore new aspects of Moodle or jazzing up the main screens.

In reply to Brian Rigwald

by Brian Rigwald -

So, I just watched a video about cloning the Clean theme.  It made it seem easy...possibly too easy.

For cloning a theme, do I simply just need to rename all the instances of the original theme name to my new theme name throughout the files of the theme?  If that is the case, then that would be the simplest route for me:

1) Copy the Fordson (for example) folder.

2) Change all the "Fordson" references to "Fordson-Global-Studies".

3) Have the district admins install.

4) On my test Moodle server, experiment and write down color/image settings desired.

5) Give our admins the settings to adjust to make it specific for Global Studies.  

Is it truly that simple?

In reply to Brian Rigwald

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Sometimes yes, sometimes no, depends on the theme.  Plus filenames need to be lower case.