Quick block permissions questions

Quick block permissions questions

by Frank Black -
Number of replies: 1

v3.2

I've always struggled to understand the permissions. Here's something that's been buzzing around in my brain for a long time...

If I add a block, say an HTML block, and click in the block admin: 'permissions' -> Permissions in Block: HTML

It says:

view block: Authenticated user | Guest | Student | Non-editing Teacher | Teacher

Questions:

1) Is this showing me the permissions extracted from the Users -> 'Define roles' admin page?
2) If I delete a role in the block settings, does that affect only this HTML block, or does it change the Defined roles page too, for all HTML blocks?
3) If I delete Student | Non-editing Teacher | Teacher from a block, they're still going to see it because they are also auth user, right?

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frank Black

Re: Quick block permissions questions

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Frank,

1) The permissions in the block are extracted from Define roles and also any course permissions changes.

2) If you delete a role in the block permissions, it only affects the HTML block.

3) If I delete Student | Non-editing Teacher | Teacher from a block, they're still going to see it because they are also auth user, right? Correct.