Quiz

Drag and Drop onto Image

Picture of Bob Jackson
Drag and Drop onto Image

I am not a developer rather a K-12 outreach person.  I work with teachers and I have been helping teachers with creating Moodle courses.  I have really gotten interested in the different types of Quiz questions. The one in particular is Drag and Drop onto Images.  I like this question type and it offers teachers the ability to create their own tests particularly in Biology, Anatomy, etc... classes.  I also like the Drag and Drop Markers better.  However, teachers are not going to want to spend the time making up the Drag and Drop Marker questions because of setting up the drop zones.  My problem with the Drag and Drop onto Images is once you upload an image and it is resized on the Moodle platform, the image size limits the number of labels that you can "drag and drop" into place particularly on diagrams such as a heart, muscle groups, etc... .   Is there  any way to resize the image or have the ability to "drop" labels outside the borders of the image?   I think I could have many teachers use this question type if it were not for the limitations / size contraints.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Marcus Green
Re: Drag and Drop onto Image
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters
This might be of interest

Picture of Bob Jackson

Yes.  Thank you.  I know how to do the Drag and Drop marker and like it.  It is much better than the Drag and Drop onto Image.  I just see challenges with the limited size of an image and putting very many labels on a diagram such as labeling parts of a heart, brain, muscles on human body because of the space taken up by the label and the need to draw lines in on the diagrams to place labels.  As per my example, the Drag and Drop marker is much better but I know many teachers using Drag and Drop onto Image and want to.  The biggest challenge is space on the image for very many labels and the fact that text labels cannot be dropped outside the actual borders of the images on lines drawn to parts in diagram. Are there any fixes for this?

Paul

Great, but as per another thread I have started, but this now actually would serve as a really good example, would it be possible to show what the correct answer should have been if I drag and drop a wrong solution onto the picture and then submit it?

Picture of Jamie Pratt
Core developersDocumentation writersPlugin developers

Hi Paul,

I'm the programmer who programmed the ddmarker and ddimageortext question types, commissioned by the OU.

You can easily change the max dimensions of an image in the question type by changing these constants for ddimageortext and ddmarker.

Jamie

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
Paul

Hi Jamie,

That sounds great. Is there anyway though that you can have the quiz give the user the corrected answers after they complete the quiz.

A colleague of mine has created a quiz, and he wants that the students do the quiz just the once, but, when they are finished, he wants that any error choices show what the correct answer should have been: is that possible?

Paul

Am I to take it that since no one has answered my above question, that the answer is therefore no, you can not have the quiz give you the correct answer to a wrongly answered question?

Picture of Emma Richardson
Documentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Do the normal feedback settings of show correct answer not work for drag and drop?

Paul

Hi Emma,

According to my colleague, it would appear not. sad

I have another question, also from the same colleague: is it possible to have multiple correct answers? Would it be possible to have for example a fully correct answer, and a partially correct answer?

Just something to chew on, so to speak. wink

Picture of Jamin Grahovac

Hi Jamie, 

I have a question regarding the situation described in this thread.

The coding you have referenced where one can set the display values (maximages) of the photos in a drag and drop onto image quiz - where can I go to change these values? Do I need to have administrator rights on my institution's version of moodle? Or can I, as a teacher change these on my own?

I am asking because my draggable items contain way too much white space and due to their large size, are not able to all fit into the background image.  (See attached image)

Thanks!

Jay

Picture of Joseph Rézeau
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTestersTranslators

Hi Jamie,

Unfortunately there are no settings to change the image dimensions in Site administration > Plugins > Question types > Manage question types >

Drag and drop markers or Drag and drop onto image.

Picture of Christiana Mergan

Hi Paul 

Did you get a response to this question yet?

I had the same problem and have just found that in your quiz settings, under question behaviour, select "interactive with multiple tries from the drop down menu.

Also worth checking under review options to make sure you have ticked all the right boxes.

When learners click "check" it will tell them how many they have correct. They can then select try again and the correct answers remain and only the incorrect answers need to be addressed.

Picture of Joseph Rézeau

Chrisiana "When learners click "check" it will tell them how many they have correct. They can then select try again and the correct answers remain and only the incorrect answers need to be addressed."

Actually, I am not seeing this behaviour. With "interactive with multiple tries" behaviour, the correct answers do NOT remain in place.

Picture of Joseph Rézeau

Oops, that does work as expected, but Christiana's explanation was incomplete. In order to have the correct responses remain in place you have to do the following. When editing the drag & drop question, go to the Multiple Tries section and under Hint 1 options tick Options Clear incorrect responses.blush

Picture of Joseph Rézeau

In reply to other members and esp. Bob Jackson, I have been playing around with the Drag and drop onto image question type to try and fit it to the "Name the Muscles" activity. Here are my parameters etc.

Original image (and names list) taken from this web page: https://www.healthpages.org/health-a-z/anatomy-major-anterior-muscles/

Moodle version 3.4 with core Drag and drop onto image question type and Boost theme.

In order to make the text markers more look-alike the conventional legends of scientific diagrams, I have added a few CSS rules to my local site's Administration / Appearance / Additional HTML /When BODY is opened CSS as follows:

<style type="text/css">
.que.ddimageortext .dropzone {
    border: none;
    background-color:transparent;
}
.que.ddimageortext .drag, form.mform fieldset#id_previewareaheader .drag {
    border: none;
    background-color:transparent;
}
.que.ddimageortext div.dragitems div.draghome,
.que.ddimageortext div.dragitems div.drag,
form.mform fieldset#id_previewareaheader div.draghome,
form.mform fieldset#id_previewareaheader div.drag {
    font: 10px/1.231 arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;
}
</style>

In the attached screenshots you can compare the "standard" view and the modified CSS view. Of course, this is only an incomplete sample.

(Edited by Mary Cooch - original submission Saturday, 24 February 2018, 4:27 PM)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Joseph Rézeau

Just realized the picture of human body muscles I used for my demonstration is copyrighted. I'm asking this forum moderator to remove my previous post or, if it's possible to edit it, to remove the attachments.

When that is done I will post a new demonstration with a Creative Commons available picture.

Sorry!

Mary Cooch
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Ok I just deleted them smile

Picture of Joseph Rézeau

Thanks to Mary Cooch (Hi Mary!) for removing my previous (copyrighted) attachment pictures. I am attaching a new set of pictures to illustrate my customized use of the Drag & Drop onto picture question type.

I find the new pic of human body muscles less "sexy" than the one I had used in my previous messagebig grin, but at least it is Open Source. Here are the details:

Wikipedia Page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_skeletal_muscles_of_the_human_body

Attribution: By OpenStax [CC BY 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

For my demonstration purposes I have only erased the right-hand part of the legend (and blurred out the left part).

Screen-shots 1 & 2 show the result of using the default Drag & Drop onto picture question settings. They illustrate the overlapping problem which takes place when the draggable text items are dragged to their respective zones.

Screen-shots 3 & 4 show the result of using the customized CSS rules, as per my previous post. No visible overlapping, no annoying boxes, the result is exactly the same as the original legend.

It's a pity that one has to resort to such additional CSS rules, which can only be added by a Moodle site Admin, and of course will not suit all types of D & D questions. I suggest that optional settings be made available within the editing interface of such questions, to make them more flexible.

Picture of Joseph Rézeau

... and screen-shots 3 & 4