Copy Glossary to another course

Copy Glossary to another course

by Beat Bürgi -
Number of replies: 7

Hi dear moodlers

Can I copy a glossary (or anything else) to another course or to the main menu on the start page?

Thanks for help

Beat

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Beat Bürgi

Re: Copy Glossary to another course

by Tom Murdock -
Yes, with teacher access, you can export and import (there are appropriate tabs in the interface) glossaries very simply.

There are also ways to copy other activities using the backup/restore commands, but the export/import might be the tool for your job.

-Tom
In reply to Tom Murdock

by Beat Bürgi -

Thanks, Tom

Export/import sounds like the thing I'm looking for. I'm logged in as administrator, where exactly can I find this export/import tool?

In reply to Beat Bürgi

by Tom Murdock -
If you don't see it currently in the interface tabs (next to "browse by date" and "browse by alphabet") then you'll want to update to a recent version of the glossary that includes them.

If you are used to using CVS, you can grab the changes, or you can also install the recent module from here.

Enjoy!
In reply to Tom Murdock

by Beat Bürgi -

Hi Tom

I hate being a beginnerwink

I see now what you meant with import and export, but by installing the new module I deleted all entries from my glossary. I have saved the database for taking the changes.

Can you tell me what kind of file I have to import from my saved glossary in to the new one to get the entries again. I just don't see through the meaning of the different files in moodle.

In reply to Beat Bürgi

by Williams Castillo -
Hi,

Did you deleted them on purpouse or you meant that the installation process has delete them? If you did it on purpouse there's no way to get them back unless you have a backup somewhere.

In order to import entries from a glossary to a second one, you first need to export the entries from the first and then import the generated file on the second one. It's fairly intuitive.

Will
In reply to Williams Castillo

by Beat Bürgi -

Hi

Yes, the installation process deleted them. I installed now my old Version again, the glossary with the entries, but without the new possibility to import export.

How can I install the new glossary version without deleting the data of the existing glossaries?

Beat

P.S. Beat is not an expression of my aggressivity, but my real name, it doesn't mean to beat, but to be happybig grin

In reply to Beat Bürgi

by Williams Castillo -
That's extremelly weird.

Then, I wonder why you said: I deleted all entries from my glossary.

Does your installation process includes a step in which you delete the entries? Perhaps that's the reason... That's not a standard step... smile

Regards,
Will