Attendance Import

Attendance Import

by Nanda Yuvaraj -
Number of replies: 23

I want to create 130 single activity  Attendance course for their respective classes.

1. Is it possible to create the Courses in excel sheet and upload it with the details for the sessions to be created for all? Right now even singleactivity format in format column of csv also throws an  error. If I set Default course format to single activity , it is only created as a discussion forum.

2. I created a template attendance with all the session created with a thought that i can import from this course. It shows that attendance is locked and not possible.

Can someone please mention a way of creating 130 Single activity attendance course to avoid creating them manually for each and every class section?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nanda Yuvaraj

Re: Attendance Import

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
at this stage we do not have an import process for creating sessions, but once the attendance has been created when creating a session you can create multiple sessions at the same time if the session is at the same time/day each week.

It would be nice to add a session import feature at some point - hopefully someone will contribute a patch or provide some funding to help develop this feature.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Nanda Yuvaraj -

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

However i have a work around.

1.I created a single activity attendance course with all the sessions created. I took a backup of it.

2. I prepared the csv file for uploading all the attendance and gave single activity format and set single activity format default to attendance.

3. While uploading the csv i selected the backup file to restore from .

IT worked :D

In reply to Dan Marsden

by jensy will -

Hi Dan,

thanks for adding the import sessions to the Attendance module - very cool. We have a question about how to add repeating sessions on the csv. Ours looks like this, but when imported, it only creates a single session on 07/24/18 with no repeats - what do we need to do differently?

Course Groups Date from: to: Description Repeat on Repeat every Repeat until
our-course our-group-name07/24/18 18:00 21:00 Lecture Tuesday 1 09/25/18

In reply to jensy will

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Jensy, 

Unfortunately I don't think the repeaton stuff actually works in the import file yet - I missed that when merging in the code that I had someone else working on. You might need to generate a csv with all the individual sessions you want to add.

thanks,

In reply to Dan Marsden

Re: Re: Attendance Import

by Juli MacArthur -
Hi Dan,

I've been looking everywhere to find out how the import csv attendance sessions work but I cannot find it anywhere, here or on Github.

It seems like it exists based on the github issues thread on this, but I just can't find anything about how to do it! Do you know where I might find this as there's no mention of this in the regular documentation.

Thanks,

Juli
In reply to Juli MacArthur

Re: Re: Re: Attendance Import

by Dan Marsden -
yeah - feel free to help by improving the docs smile

Go to: admin > plugins > activity modules > Attendance
Select the "import sessions" tab.

Create a CSV file a bit like this:
course,group,date,start time,end time,description,studentscanmark,passwordgrp,randompassword,subnet
ACF101,group1;group5,2017-11-30,16:00,18:00,desc test 1,,,,

At the moment, the course field only supports the course shortname - (but that is not very clear.)

Hope that helps to get you started.

Please note - this import only allows the creation of attendance sessions, not the import of student attendance against those sessions. (But there is someone actively working on adding the ability to import user attendance via csv at the moment.)
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Dan Marsden

Re: Re: Re: Re: Attendance Import

by Juli MacArthur -
You're a gem! Thanks for this. I've got to contact our provider to give me access to plugin admin as I don't have access (hands-off) but when I manage to get this up and running I'll create some guidance for the docs.

Ta,

Juli
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Thomas Hoyer -
Thanks, this is awesome.

One question. Is it possible to target a specific attendance activity inside a course with this csv import? We are using one attendance activity per semester (from 6 total) but it is documented in on course. We need this separately for our calculations.
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Alexander Metz -
What is the capability associated to the csv upload? I want to allow trainers to do it themselves. However, they cannot access it by standard as it is located in the site-administration.

Thanks!
Alex.
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Adam Shearman -
Ah, I was just about to open a github issue thinking it was broken....
That's a shame.
Is this something that would likely be added in the future as the headings are still in the code?
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Thomas Hoyer -
Hey Dan,

there in no complete information how and what the different csv field on an import file can be. I offer you, to do that in the documetation of the plugin. But you have to give me some information on what ist possible. Then I can provide an example file for other users in the documentation. I have some skills in reading php so if you provide me the php code for importing the csv this would be fine.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Sam Kariot -
Hi, Dan,

Is there any update available now for repeating session during importing attendance through CSV..?
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Mohammad Hossain -

Hi Dan,

I am interested to work on import feature. I need some help to work on it. First of all,   I would like to know from which page in your plugins I can add navigation bar Import next to Export. Once I have got some  Idea, I can play around it and will look for opportunity to add the feature.

I will look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

In reply to Mohammad Hossain

by Radim Chvála -

The entry for Import into Dates, times and description of the "Attendance" sessions is here (Moodle 3.5):

Site administration / ► Plugins / ► Activity Modules / ► Manage Activities / Attendance / Settings / Card "Import Session"

- The "Attendance" module must be inserted in the course before import.

- I tried to import sessions with "periodic repetition," but it doesn't work.

- It is possible to import attendance to several courses in one file at a time, but it must not have the same start and end times. You need a minimum of 1 minute difference. (See the attached file). Does anyone know how to solve this problem please?

In reply to Mohammad Hossain

by ABRAR HAIDER -

How can i import the attendance of students from the file .csv to the Session?

In reply to ABRAR HAIDER

by Therese White -
Hi! I'm also interested in this. We have a situation where people would need to attend one or more attendance activities in a course, but we want to add the attendance as a bulk enroll after the session has happened, rather than taking attendance manually. Is there any update on this or would anyone like more information? Thanks and wishing all well!
In reply to Therese White

by Dan Marsden -
If you are using the latest version of the attendance plugin (avaiable from github) you will see a new "Upload attendance by CSV" button at the top of the page when viewing the session marking:
Attendance session marking
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Therese White -

Hi Dan, Thanks!  That's the issue.  May I please have the link to the latest version on github? 😀  

In reply to Therese White

by Dan Marsden -
Have a look in the moodle.org plugins database for the attendance plugin and then follow the links under "source control url" link under the "useful links" section.
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Karen McFarland -

Hi Dan,

Can you help me understand what "attendance instance" means when looking at the attendance report as a student.  When the report is grouped by week the amount of absences look correct, however when a student clicks "attendance instance" the amount of absences are doubled.

See below screenshot.

Thank you!