Quiz

Quiz category with question as parent??

Picture of Howard Miller
Quiz category with question as parent??
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

I just got completely tripped up by this...

A category with a particular quiz as its parent. Is this a new thing? I can't find any reference in the documentation to it.

It tripped us up because, of course, it's only in the list of categories if you access that list via the parent question. 

A related question... when editing a question, what's the purpose of the 'Use this category' tick box? All it seems to do is to grey out the category drop-down. 

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Emma Richardson
Re: Quiz category with question as parent??
Documentation writersParticularly helpful Moodlers

We were just talking about this very thing in another discussion!!  If you create questions from the quiz, it places them in a category specific to the quiz which can then only be found again from the quiz!

I am not sure the purpose of the use this category checkbox...but then I am not sure of the purpose of the majority of the checkbox's in Moodle, most of the time they seem unnecessary and just create an extra click.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Howard Miller
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Yeh - AND, if you create a bunch of questions in one of these mystery categories how on earth do you move them to 'proper' categories if you change your mind. I can't see a way to do it.

Picture of Howard Miller

Ahh... found it. Need to move them from the list of questions screen. 

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary

It's been like that since Moodle 1.something. It is in the documentation.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Howard Miller

Fair enough.... not sure how I missed it.