General help

Audio Recordings in Assignment Module

Picture of Andrew Lian
Audio Recordings in Assignment Module

Hello

Is there a good free voice recorder that is built into the Assignment module?

I know about PooDLL which is just great but a little too expensive for our little research group here in Thailand (I understand of course that it could not be free for ever).

I also know about "audio online" which no longer works with Moodle 3.3.1 - it just breaks the theme and I am quite partial to keeping this theme (it also needs flash).

The H5p recorder is very good but, unfortunately, is not incorporated into the Assignment module.

Are there any other suggestions out there?

Thanks a lot

Andrew

Average of ratings: -
Ben talking on the phone beside a monitor
Re: Audio Recordings in Assignment Module
Particularly helpful MoodlersTesters

We're looking at this pretty seriously.

Give your learners a voice with this RecordRTC plugin - Moodle.com

https://moodle.com/2017/08/31/give-learners-voice-recordrtc-plugin/

Mary Cooch
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators
Just following Ben to say that in that (excellently written) blog post, it does mention that you can't use this for assignment feedback (by the teacher) but you can use it for students submitting assignments.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Particularly helpful MoodlersTesters

Thanks, Mary. I totally missed that important bit.

Picture of Andrew Lian

Thank you both very much. I did not know this solution. I will experiment with it though at first glance I would prefer it if it were embedded in the assignment plugin. Let's see !. Thank you!

Professor Dr. Andrew Lian
Suranaree University of Technology, Thailand
Sent from my ASUS mobile

On 9 Sep 2017 2:15 am, "ben reynolds (via Moodle.org)" <noreply@moodle.org> wrote:
by ben reynolds - Friday, 8 September 2017, 1:44 PM

Thanks, Mary. I totally missed that important bit.

Picture of Andrew Lian

Double thanks as it *is* possible to embed the recorder in the Assignment plugin. This is done by setting the assignment to be delivered as an online text which in turn invokes TinyMCE or ATTO editors (with the voice recorder embedded in them). So... the student makes the recording, saves it and submits the assignment - and there it is. True, though, the teacher is not able to respond with a recorder but, at least for the moment, it is ok for my little research project.

Picture of Vladimir Miranovic

Unfortunately, they turned off feedback ("by recommendation of one of the guys from Moodle HQ"), and luckily for me I have a version that is recording students assignment and teacher's feedback as TinyMCE plugin only.

Only problem with this plugin is his basic UI (for most people), and non-existence of in memory FFMPEG conversion to smaller audio format for Chrome.

On all of our testing systems worked fantastically.