Moodle 3.1 LDAP Problem after upgarding to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Moodle 3.1 LDAP Problem after upgarding to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

by Bit One -
Number of replies: 7

Hello,

I  'm using Moodle 3.1 with LDAP authentication and everything was good until I upgraded the server to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

First I had the issue that php-ldap wasn't installed and after installing LDAP module doesn't seem to be connecting, getting the usual

"LDAP-module cannot connect to any servers: Server: 'x.x.x.x:3268', Connection:'',Bind result: '' " error.

I 've run ldapsearch through command line and using the same settings as in Moodle I 'm getting back the requested info from AD domain controller.

I 'm thinking of something to do with PHP 7 perhaps?

Has anyone experienced similar issues?

Thank you in advance,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bit One

Re: Moodle 3.1 LDAP Problem after upgarding to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Check selinux isn't enabled.  Did you run ldapsearch from the same server that Moodle is on?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Bit One -

SELinux is not enabled by default in Ubuntu. apparmor is used instead however removing it did not help I 'm afraid.

Yes, ldapsearch run from same server.

Looking at the mdl_config_plugins table for "auth/ldap" in MySQL I noticed that the bind password is stored in clear text i.e. not encrypted. Is that right?

In reply to Bit One

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes, the bind password is stored in clear text.

I would double check the Moodle settings and re-enter them all.  Sometimes an errant space can cause all sorts of issues..

by Bit One -
Thank you Emma. You might be right! 

As said below, disabling the plugin and re-enabling has solved my issue. Probably a 'glitch' don't know why.

Thank you for your replies! smile

by Bit One -

Hi! Thank you for your reply.

SELinux is not enabled by default on Ubuntu. Apparmor is used instead however disabling it has not resolved the issue I 'm afraid.

I 've run ldapsearch from the same server with the same details as stored in the mdl_config_plugins table for "auth/ldap" (MySQL) and worked as intended.

In case you know, does PHP7 have disabled by default things that Moodle needs to work?

In reply to Bit One

by Bit One -

UPDATE:

I 've updated to Moodle version 3.3 and the problem persists.

Any other ideas ?

In reply to Bit One

by Bit One -

Ok this is weird. 

In Moodle 3.3 I am able to disable the 'LDAP server' plugin (unlike v.3.1)  through /Site Administration/Plugins/Authentication/Manage authentication and that seems to have been the answer to the problem.

Re-enabling the plugin has resolved the issue!

I did reboot the server before that as well. 

Really don't know how or why this happened but I 'm glad it's fixed.

Thanks to everyone who has put a little bit of thought on this!