General help

Display Timezones?

Picture of Paul L
Display Timezones?

Moodle courses display the date and time in the blocks but not the timezone. We default to the our local server timezone and students have the ability to change their timezone. With students in multiple timezones it can be confusing for them because its not obvious which timezone they are looking at for such blocks as Latest Announcements, Upcoming Events, Recent Activity etc.

Am I overlooking a System setting or Block setting to display the timezone along with the date and time? I understand educating users about the timezone would remedy this but thought it would be easier to display the timezone instead as that eliminates all confusion about the actual date/time.

Average of ratings: -
Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Re: Display Timezones?
Group Core developersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developers

The best thing it to get all users to set the time-zone in their profile. Then they will see the right times.

Picture of Paul L

re: get all users

For 1000's of users it becomes impractical to expect them all to update their own user settings.

Displaying the timezone would make 1000's of setting updates unnecessary and there wouldn't be any need for administrators to communicate with and educate 1000's of users all the time.

Thanks for responding.

Picture of David Peltz

Where do i change the time zone?  At the moment it is set for European Time and I need to change to United States (Los Angeles).  

Picture of AL Rachels
Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers

Hi David,

It is located at Site administration > Location > Location settings.

Generally, when you want to change something like that and don't know where it is located, click, Site administration, then type your best guess in the Search box. In this case, timezone, will take you right to it. Many times, you will find that it locates other similar settings you may not have thought about.