General help

Unread posts, always unread...

Picture of Roberto Catanuto
Unread posts, always unread...

Moodle 3.1

Our Students have their dashboard with the whole list of courses they're enrolled in.

When a new post is made, they get the normal reminder:

Unfortunately, after they go to the forum, click on the message, read the message etc, if they go back to the dashboard then the same reminder appears, even if no new posts have been made in the meantime in that forum. 

Many of them don't understand if there's anything new to read or not. 

Would you mind giving some suggestions on that?

Thank you very much.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Helen Foster
Re: Unread posts, always unread...
Core developersDocumentation writersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTestersTranslators

Hi Roberto,

Is tracking of read and unread forum posts working correctly elsewhere i.e. on the course page, on the forum page and in forum discussion threads?

I've not come across any other reports of forum post tracking not working on the dashboard, so I'm wondering what might be different about your site? Perhaps you could double check that the 'Forum mailings and maintenance jobs' scheduled task is running regularly?

Picture of Roberto Catanuto
Re: Unread posts, always unread...

Thanks for supporting, Helen.

Yes, the track of read and unread posts is working fine on the course page, the forum page and also in the forum discussion thread. The problem is in the dashboard only. 

The dashboard is really important for us as our students are enrolled in more than 13 different courses and it wouldn't be fair to ask them to visit every course page to check for new posts.

I'll follow your suggestion and check if the 'Forum mailings and maintenance jobs' scheduled task is running ok.