Hidden Resources now show "Hidden from students"

Hidden Resources now show "Hidden from students"

by Alan Musch -
Number of replies: 37

We recently updated to 3.3.1  We are running the theme "essential"

When are teachers have hidden resources on their page, they now show with a "button" underneath that says "Hidden from Students"  I think I might possibly by the "info" button in the HTML style guide.

In the past, the name of the resource was just greyed out and italicized. The blue button which appears underneath takes up twice the space and teachers are complaining of having to scroll so much.

Is there a way to revert to the old settings?

I am also using the collapsed topics plug in, but I didn't see any settings in there.  I have also tried to change themes and the extra "button" still shows up.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Attachment unnamed-1.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alan Musch

Re: Hidden Resources now show "Hidden from students"

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Alan,

That functionality is core M3.3 functionality and not related to Essential or Collapsed Topics.  So if you want to revert then you'll need to downgrade to Moodle 3.2.  It is styled by the BS4 style 'tag-info' which has been backported in 'bootstrapbase'.  There is probably a core mustache template that generates it somewhere.

G

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Alan Musch -
Would there be extra html I could add that would hide tag-info?  This might have repercussions elsewhere, but just trying to think of a solution.
In reply to Alan Musch

by Sean Headrick -

We also dislike the unnecessary "Hidden from Students" button/icon.  Wondering if some CSS could remove it.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Sean Headrick

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Possibly targeting the 'tag-info' class as I mention above may solve it in CSS, but it would need to be a specific selector as this I believe feels a generic class and therefore could be used anywhere.  So you'd have to be careful about ensuring that it only affected those instances.

Another approach is to not output the markup in the first place.  With the introduction of Mustache and this being a recent addition I would have thought it was in a template somewhere, thus as templates can be overridden in a theme, removed.  Just needs a bit of detective work.

If you're uncertain and would like to learn more about Moodle Themes and CSS, then please consider attending 'Theme design level 1' course facilitated my me - http://www.moodlebites.com/mod/page/view.php?id=3208 - and run by HRDNZ (A Moodle partner since 2006).

In reply to Alan Musch

by Carme Q -

We also dislike to have this tag/label in the course.

Please make it configurable in next versions.

In reply to Carme Q

by Gareth J Barnard -

The Moodle forums are a good place to discuss things and raise issues, but with core things in order to get things done you need to use the tracker: https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Tracker_introduction - so look, see if it has been raised and vote for it otherwise, create an issue and get votes for it.  As an enhancement then the earliest it would appear in now will be M3.5 next May (2018).

by Bill Kingsland -

I recently upgraded our school's site to 3.4 and was searching for a solution to this problem as well.  It is redundant to display a message for hidden objects when the line is already lighter and italicized.  If anyone finds a solution, please share.  smile 

In reply to Bill Kingsland

by Fernando Acedo -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

This is NOT a problem. It is a new moodle feature to show that an activity is hidden for students.

In Adaptable it is partially configurable using the default info styles. And it looks like a label and not like a bubble or button.

Another option is to hide the info label using custom CSS.

See the Adaptable code for more references: https://bitbucket.org/covuni/moodle-theme_adaptable/src/584c15c4dd8d22e38a73bc4dd978692d60b3636e/style/course.css?at=master&fileviewer=file-view-default#course.css-689

If you think that could be improved then follow the Gareth advice and open an issue in the tracker and get votes to modify it.

In reply to Fernando Acedo

by Clif Kussmaul -
Thank you, Fernando.

Specifically, to hide the label, I went to the settings for my theme ("Clean"), and added this to the "Custom CSS":
.section .activity .availabilityinfo {
    display: none;
}

Similarly, to change the size, position, color of the label, I could add CSS like:
    margin-left: 30px;
    margin-top: 0em;
}
.availabilityinfo .label-info {
    background-color: setting:alertbackgroundcolorinfo;
    border-color: setting:alertbordercolorinfo;
    color: setting:alertcolorinfo;
    font-size: 6px;
    padding: 0px;
}
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Clif Kussmaul

by Sarra Lev -

Does this work on MoodleCloud sites as well? Thanks for your help.

by Joan Pons -

I have tried this solution with "Boost" theme and it works perfectly.

Thanks...

by Omar Abusaleh -

I created an account on moodle.org just to say Thank you, Clif

Cheers,

by Mike Bauck -

Thanks Clif! I really disliked the "hidden from students" label. Your solution worked for me. Thank you for sharing!

by Janice Weir-Germia -
Can this work on Maker Theme, based on BOOST?

We have Moodle 3.6+
In reply to Fernando Acedo

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Fernando, this IS a problem. It is a ugly design change that has no purpose for my teachers, and heavily contributes to Moodle's #1 complaint, the scroll of death. Moodle has had an excellent way of indicating to a teacher whether a course item is hidden or not--greying out.  If this big button was instituted for reasons of accessibility, then it is needs to be a non-default option for those who need this kind of indication.

I am looking for a Tracker issue to vote on this. If someone can find the best issue, please post it here. In the meantime it appears I have to convince our site administrators to hack CSS with the code shown above.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

FYI, our site admin was willing to paste in the following code from Clif (thank you!) to the Clean theme, Custom CSS:

}
It worked.

by Sean Headrick -

Clif and Don:  Thank you!

We tested this on our theme and it worked for removing "Hidden from Students" :

}

Because our theme already greys-out the test of hidden activities and resources, it is unnecessary to include the "Hidden from Students" highlight.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ok, I believe that what Fernando is indicating is that this is not a 'theme' problem.  It might be an issue generally, however it is not specifically a theme one.  The code I would guess would reside in the core course renderer and thus outside of the remit of a theme problem - even though a theme can override and alter this functionality.

Moodle's output originates from many different components (hence 'Modular') and thus the 'theme' is not the entire entity you see on the screen, rather it is the wrapper around the content and not specifically a generator of that content.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Normally I am against anything that adds to the view but I happen to really like this feature - because greyed out does not always mean the same thing.  Plus, now we have stealth activities which replace the orphaned activities (which actually help with the scroll of death) and so it is important to distinguish between hidden from students and available but hidden on course page.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Emma (and others), when I first saw this "Hidden from Students" label I thought, hmmm, this is new (and different.)  It never really bothered me.  In fact, it was more helpful to other instructors who don't use Moodle for me to say "See, these items are hidden."  So my first reaction to this discussion was "I don't see any problem with it."

But then I started experimenting.  I applied the CSS code to hide these labels, and I thought "For me, this is a little cleaner, and I am the only user of my moodle so I know my color scheme for hidden items."  I noticed that this CSS code does not hide this "Hidden from Students" for Topics, just items within topics.  Well, in my case, hidden topics are not as obvious so I actually like the words "Hidden from students" showing for topics.

Then I got to noticing that if a topic is hidden, that individual items within a topic that might be hidden do not normally show "hidden from students" until the topic is unhidden.  This puzzled me.  For me, I actually would like the words "Hidden from students" to show within hidden topics.  This would allow me to administratively recognize that I want certain items hidden when I unhide a topic.

So these words "Hidden from student" I believe are more useful within hidden topics than to unhidden topics.  When a topic is hidden, all items take on the hidden color scheme, and there is no visual cue to let one know that there are also items within this hidden topic that are (or in my case, are NOT hidden) prior to tuning on a topic.  Does anyone else see what I am seeing?  Any agreement?

So what I would favor is maybe an all or none situation.  If "hidden from topics" remains, it should always show for any hidden item, even if a topic is hidden.  Otherwise, I plan to remove "hidden from students" from items, because it adds nothing to what I already know, and leave "hidden from students" showing for topics.

So Emma, I agree with you.  I just think that this "hidden from students" also would be beneficial for hidden items within hidden topics.

(Using Moodle 3.4, Boost, and Collapsed Topics.)

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Rick, 

I am just wondering if what you are saying, means it would be useful to have a new label which could say "Hidden item/s" in an Hidden Topic?

just a thought?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ok... As grouping for an activity / resource has a single icon that changes, then why not this?  Then the UI would be consistent.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Rick Jerz -

Yep Mary, I knew that my explanation would be hard to figure out. Let me illustrate with one topic.

Look at my attached and the first graphic "Topic Unhidden."  One clearly sees (with both color and words) which individual items are "hidden."  There are two.

Then look at the second graphic "Topic Unhidden" where I simply "hide" this topic.  You cannot detect that there are two individual hidden items (because all items are colored as hidden, and the words "hidden from student" are no longer displayed.)

This is what I mean.  If a topic is hidden, the words "hidden from student" becomes useful for items that are hidden within the entire hidden topic.  

Wow, this might still be confusing.  Let me know if it is, and I will provide more.

Attachment hidden.jpg
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hmm, I guess I see what you mean except if the topic is hidden then everything is hidden.  If you just had labels for those items that are still hidden when the topic is unhidden, that would be confusing unless it is specified that way (i.e. This item will still be hidden when the topic is unhidden).  Wow, that gets really busy.  Why not just unhide the topic and then you see anyway!!

As for the icon idea, remember that we would need three icons and what icon would you use for stealth activities?

by Rick Jerz -
In reply to Rick Jerz

by John Provasnik -

hi Rick - helpful video. 

I'm not on 3.4 yet, but on 3.1 when I hide an entire section, items that are individually hidden appear in black, and items that were not individually hidden appear in blue. I couldn't tell if that is the case for you. 

So, for me, Even though the words don't appear letting me know which items are individually hidden, I am able to tell from the color of the link. Wondering if that will in the meantime help you out in 3.4

In reply to John Provasnik

by Rick Jerz -

Yep John, you are right on with your observation.  Your color scheme is black=on, blue=off.  I have used CSS to change my color scheme, maroon=on, light blue=off.  We both do rely on the color scheme to see hidden items.

But our discussion has focused on the use of the extra words "hidden from students" and 1) if these are useful, 2) if the wording should be a setting to show or not show the wording, and 3) why the wording is removed when a topic is hidden?

My position is:

#1, yes, they seem to be okay.  Doesn't bother me.  but I understand that it might be bothersome to some folks.

#2, maybe so, but if so, probably the setting should be at the course level.  The default should be on (for accessibility reasons) but the instructor can turn it off.

3#, the wording should display even when a topic is hidden.  (Again, this was my main point for making my video, to illustrate that the words disappear when a topic is hidden.

In reply to Bill Kingsland

by Janice Weir-Germia -

Hi all,

We are using a Moodle partner ELD who has version 3.6+ on their server

I need help to remove Hidden from Students or replace it with another tag.

Tried using a suggested CSS in Advanced Settings of Maker:  

}

This was typed in both the RAW Initial SCSS and Raw CSS sections and still no joy!

I am using MAKER THEME by 3rdwavemedia and they said they cannot advise as not theme related.  They have been good so far but just not helpful on this fix!!

Can anyone help.

Attachment Screenshot 2019-10-16 at 10.56.12.png
In reply to Janice Weir-Germia

by Emma Richardson -
Can I ask why you want it removed? You should be able to replace it in the language settings. If the students are seeing it, I think there is a setting on how hidden items/sections should be displayed - you can set it to where the students don't see it all there...

by Janice Weir-Germia -

Hi Emma,

I did it, it worked.  I used alternative code for MAKER theme as they finally sent it through but it removes all of the arrows and jump information.

Our learners are adults and international, so they learn in different ways and need flexibility built in.

Before you responded, I finally got a response and changed it from (hidden) to another message....  I am so so so excited.  Only we will understand how it feels to finally crack it...

Now I can breathe.  Yes, it was in the language settings in admin.

Thank you for your reply and have an amazing week ahead.

Janice weir-Germia

by Janice Weir-Germia -

So I was able to customise with a generic statement and it works.

I got the exact Administration tool location to do this from our Moodle Partner, so thankfully both of you helped me negate a manual documentation explanation or navigation video!  Have a great day.  Janice Weir-Germia

Attachment Jump Menu.JPG
In reply to Alan Musch

by Alexander Kurakin -

Any update on this?

In reply to Alexander Kurakin

by Gareth J Barnard -

In what way?

by Alexander Kurakin -

In a way to have an option "Hide warning about element's unavailability in student view", etc.

And/or an option "Hide unavailable elements in student view"

In reply to Alan Musch

by Vasco Tavares -

To me it isn't logical to show the label "Hidden from students" to students enroled to the course, so in case one wants to hide the label from the Dashboard in Course overview add the below CSS code under your Theme > Advanced tab, Raw SCSS field:

/* Hide label "Hidden from students" in the dashboard Course overview*/
#page-my-index .block_myoverview .tag-info { display: none; }

NOTE: Works in Moove theme, Moodle version 3.8.2+.

In reply to Vasco Tavares

by Bruce Wilbee -
We use to be able to add css by going into Site Admin/Appearance/Themes/Theme setting and then add the code

}

to get rid of the annoying boxes indicating something was "Hidden From Students"
Does anyone know how to do this is Moodle 3.10? I have 160 instructors wondering how.