English Grammar & Syntax, health warning

English Grammar & Syntax, health warning

by Rob Merkus -
Number of replies: 6

This free downloadable course, on moodle.net, presents under the guise of learning English many Christian texts and videos. I feel this not appropriate. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rob Merkus

Re: English Grammar & Syntax, health warning

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It was presumably a course developed in a seminary of some sort. 

I am not religious at all, so I don't have an opinion on that one way or another but I have a feeling that the title and/or description should reflect that as it may not be appropriate for all audiences. 

I don't get the impression it's any kind of attempt to "smuggle religious texts under the radar" so to speak. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I remember approving this course. I thought it was actually quite good, but I do appreciate the Biblical references might not be everyone's cup of tea. I have edited its title and description so there is now a mention of the Biblical context of the teachings.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Rob Merkus -

I wonder whether this is sufficient. What if the next English course uses [extreme] political texts? I feel that an English course shared through moodle.net should use neutral texts. 

In reply to Rob Merkus

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It is a matter of judgement as to what is considered neutral and what is interesting.
Average of ratings: Very cool (1)
In reply to Rob Merkus

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
@all, it is about: https://moodle.net/?courseid=5423

Hi Rob

Thanks a lot for the warning. I already downloaded the course and restored it in to a test site. (There is no "live" version of it, as far as i could see.)
smile

Seriously man, don't be silly!
> What if the next English course uses [extreme] political texts?

What if!!! Haven't you noticed that the submissions go through a moderation process?
sad

> I feel that an English course shared through moodle.net should use neutral texts.

Then make one!
Average of ratings: Very cool (1)
In reply to Rob Merkus

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If you don't like the religious content then don't use it. You would be very welcome to use it as the basis for a new course swapping our the religious material for secular texts. 

I don't think we need to worry about extreme political texts turning up.

Average of ratings: Very cool (2)