Able to use the ##user## tag without it linking to the profile?

Able to use the ##user## tag without it linking to the profile?

by Frank Black -
Number of replies: 2

I'd like the ##user## tag to print the name of the entry author in plain text, rather than linking to their profile.

The reason is that our institution prevents the users from viewing anyone's profile. So when users click the ##user## link, they are just faced with a page that says they don't have permission. It would be great to avoid that altogether y not printing a link.

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frank Black

Re: Able to use the ##user## tag without it linking to the profile?

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Frank,

I guess it may not be possible, wish someone can find an answer for you.

To work around, you may have to create a text field and ask users to enter their name manually, and you have to trust them to enter their own name correctly.

In reply to William Lu

Re: Able to use the ##user## tag without it linking to the profile?

by Frank Black -

Thanks for the confirmation William.

Typing is a good suggestion, but I need the username (teacher) to be a sort-order and search field, so it can't really afford to have inconsistency or mistakes. The next best thing is to make a menu of names to choose from, but I was trying to make entering homework as simple and quick as possible for them.

I think either the students will quickly learn that clicking the name will give them an error, so they will stop clicking it. It's ugly, but not a big deal.
But maybe later on I can learn to edit and control the profiles enough that they can be useful and unobtrusive - that would be ideal really.

Thanks.