Show new users course catalog when they 1st login

Show new users course catalog when they 1st login

by Walter Byrd -
Number of replies: 1

Moodle 3.3

When a newly created user logs in, for the first time, he/she gets nothing except a blank page. I cannot understand this design decision. I have no doubt that this will be a source of frustration to users who are not familiar with the system.

Would there be some way to have new users log into "Site home" instead of "Dashboard?" Or some way to present a catalog of available courses in the dashboard? 

Is there way to, at least, present the new user with a message to click on "Site home" to get a list of courses?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Walter Byrd

Re: Show new users course catalog when they 1st login

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

As admin, you can set whether the default front page is the Site home or the Dashboard by going to Site adminstration and then Appearance and Navigation - the default is Dashboard but you can change it to Site home.  See also Dashboard and the section on default home page.

I think it is quite useful, once a user is enrolled in some courses, to see them and their progress on the dashboard and therefore have the dashboard as default. You can add an HTML block to the default dashboard with a note and a link to Site home if you wanted to, thereby keeping the dashboard as default and pointing them in the direction of Site home.  See HTML block

Average of ratings: Useful (1)