Course announcement block into main area instead of sidebar?

Course announcement block into main area instead of sidebar?

by Frank Black -
Number of replies: 2

I don't like the course announcement block in the sidebar - it's too cramped and untidy.

Is it possible to get the 'latest announcement' block into the main content of a course, and to display as an actual list of five or ten announcements at the top of the course, like on the frontpage & dashboard? Is block placement dependent on the theme you use?

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frank Black

Re: Course announcement block into main area instead of sidebar?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Yes -if you are in a course then most themes don't allow you to add blocks in the centre area, as you can do on the dashboard. There might be some contributed themes which allow it, but I don't know which ones. There is a workaround I once used, which was to get the RSS feed of the latest announcements and then find a free widget that would display RSS feeds and paste the code into a label at the top of the page - but it seemes a lot of effort. We hoped  learners would read the announcements via email or mobile phone notifications - but I appreciate some didn't, and to have them displayed in the course is also useful.