adding subtitles to video

adding subtitles to video

Anderson Hsu - દ્વારા
Number of replies: 27

Dear Support Team, 

If our video is fla format, how can we add add subtitles to  the video as shown as the screen Thanks you.

(Edited by Mary Cooch to clarify question - original submission Thursday, 31 August 2017, 4:01 PM)

In reply to Anderson Hsu

Re: adding subtitles to video

S. kavita - દ્વારા
Picture of Testers

Hi,

When you insert a video using the editor media icon then in the pop-up of uploading video you will find Subtitles and Caption. Have a look at the attached screenshot. 

If you need more details in how to insert a video then here is the link

Hope this will help you out.

Happy Moodling સ્મીત

Attachment video.png
In reply to S. kavita

Rick Jerz - દ્વારા
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

The moodle docs seem very sparse about these settings.  What does "default" mean?  And what does "label" mean?  Any examples?

In reply to Rick Jerz

S. kavita - દ્વારા
Picture of Testers

Hi Rick,

If you set a track label in it will be shown in the selection area. And if you set a track "default" then it will be pre-selected at the start of the video.

If you have any queries about any fields then there is a question mark "?" icon present on each page, click on it and you will get the details of the fields.

Thanks.

In reply to S. kavita

Wahls Shavers - દ્વારા

Hey ! Thanks for Sharing this Helpful Post. I was looking for ans of same que. since long time.

In reply to Wahls Shavers

回應: Re: adding subtitles to video

Anderson Hsu - દ્વારા

But I think the way is not suitable in moodle 2.8, I can not find the setting in moodle 2.8.

In reply to Anderson Hsu

Re: 回應: Re: adding subtitles to video

Helen Foster - દ્વારા
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello,

The subtitles and captions options when inserting media via the Atto text editor are only available in Moodle 3.2 onwards.

In reply to Helen Foster

Rick Jerz - દ્વારા

Okay, here is what I have and my problem.

Link to video: http://streaming.iowa.uiowa.edu/business/rjerz/m-org/MoodleMoot2017_Boost.mp 4 (space on purpose to show URL.)

Link to .vtt caption file: http://streaming.iowa.uiowa.edu/business/rjerz/m-org/MoodleMoot2017_Boost.vtt

See if you can get captions to work.

1) I pick the movie icon from atto.

2) I fill in the Videos page as shown below.

3) I cannot get captions to turn on.

What am I doing wrong? I am using Moodle 3.3.1+

Attachment video settings.jpg
In reply to Rick Jerz

Re: : Re: adding subtitles to video

Floyd Saner - દ્વારા

Rick,

Here are a few things I would start investigating.

1. Is your .vtt file coded as UTF-8? Some Windows editors create files in a Windows encoding
  2. Take out the sequencing numbers. Those are optional in .vtt and perhaps the Atto editor plugin does not process them properly.

I'm trying a few other things.

Regards,

Floyd

In reply to Rick Jerz

Floyd Saner - દ્વારા

Rick,

I messed around with this for about 45 minutes. Even created my own video and .vtt file.  I can't get captions to display either. Perhaps someone else can provide information.

Floyd

In reply to Floyd Saner

Mary Cooch - દ્વારા
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

What do you understand by captions? There is a video in this Celebrating Cultures course http://school.demo.moodle.net/course/view.php?id=59 with subtitles that works ( in three languages) if that helps. Log in with username to teacher password moodle. Maybe if you choose subtitles instead of captions? ( I haven't made captions myself, only subtitles.)

In reply to Mary Cooch

Rick Jerz - દ્વારા

A couple things, Floyd, Mary, and S. Kavita,

1) This .vtt file is directly from Rev.com, a company that specializes in captioning.  So I assume that it is of proper form, encoded correctly.  But I could be wrong.

2) Mary, yes, I tried the course.  But only French worked, and the video didn't play for me, but the French captions did turn on.

3) While at MoodleMoot US (New Orleans), I attended Gavin's presentation about using captions within Moodle.  I even downloaded his PowerPoints.  At MoodleMoot, I quickly gave this a try.  To my surprise, it worked!  So I thought that I understood. But now that I am trying again, I cannot get it to work.  (It worked on my experimental moodle, which I refresh regularly, so I don't have what worked for me before.)  

So I end up like Floyd, I can't seem to get it to work. (I have probably invested around 2 hours into this.)

Mary, could you provide screen shots of how this video is configured?

In reply to Rick Jerz

Floyd Saner - દ્વારા

Ah, Rick.  I may have found the problem.  When I link to a .vtt file on an external web server, subtitles/captions do not work.  When I upload a .vtt file instead of linking, subtitles/captions work.

Give that a try.

Floyd

In reply to Mary Cooch

Floyd Saner - દ્વારા

Ah, Mary!  You truly are the Moodle Fairy!  

We could be caught in language differences across the pond.  We use the term captions (closed captioning) for subtitles. Although I did try the subtitles option and that did not work.  I believe 'subtitles' refers to text for spoken words, where 'captions' refers to spoken words and descriptions of sounds (such as 'breaking glass').  I don't know why Moodle provides two different options.

Which file format did you use for your subtitles, .srt or .vtt?  Rick was using .vtt, which I believe is the format used by Atto.  If possible, can you attach a copy of the subtitle file from the Celebrating Cultures course, so we can look at the format?

Thanks!

Floyd

In reply to Floyd Saner

Rick Jerz - દ્વારા

Yes, there seems to be subtle differences between "subtitles" and "captions."  I have tried both ways without success.

When I was at MoodleMoot, my first attempt was to use my SRT (caption) files.  This didn't work. But then I saw that Gavin was using .vtt files, so I downloaded this filetype from Rev.com, and it worked.

I have upgraded my moodle since Moodlemoot, but I doubt that this is the problem.

Let's see what Mary says, and what she might provide.

In reply to Floyd Saner

Mary Cooch - દ્વારા
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I'm attaching a copy of the English subtitle file (typo included) Actually if you log in with the username manager and the pasword moodle you can retrieve the files and the video from the Private files area. 

I didn't know the difference between subtitles and captions until  VideoJS came out - and then I just googled it and found the same as you.

In reply to Mary Cooch

Floyd Saner - દ્વારા

Thanks, Mary.  That is the format, WEBVTT (.vtt), Rick and I were using. The issue turned out to be linking to a .vtt file on an external web server vs. uploading a .vtt file to Moodle.

I tried the file as subtitles and as captions and did not notice any difference.  The same file worked in both cases.

Floyd

In reply to Floyd Saner

Rick Jerz - દ્વારા

Interesting.  When I try to upload the .vtt file Moodle complains with a "Text file filetype cannot be accepted."  How did you upload, Floyd?

I am even trying this on my MoodleCloud course.  Still no luck.

In reply to Rick Jerz

Floyd Saner - દ્વારા
In reply to Floyd Saner

Rick Jerz - દ્વારા

Well Floyd, I saw that yours worked, so I did exactly the same thing, and mine worked!

I also confirmed that I had to upload the vtt file.  Linking to it did not work.

I am also wondering what I did wrong this morning, and under what conditions this doesn't work.  But you solved my problem.  Thanks.

(These vtt files are pretty small, so I don't mind uploading them.  It's the video file, the mp4, that I would not want to upload.)

Do you have good luck with Vimeo, Floyd?  If so, what don't you like about Vimeo?

In reply to Rick Jerz

Floyd Saner - દ્વારા

Rick,

I always told my computer science students that every computer and web server have small gremlins lurking in the background just waiting to create havoc and create situations such as, "It worked a few minutes ago, now it doesn't (or vice versa)."  :-0  It did not take very long for them to accept that as fact!!

It's good to know captioning/subtitling now works for you.

I'll send my comments about Vimeo via Messaging.

Floyd

In reply to Floyd Saner

Rick Jerz - દ્વારા

Floyd, the other thing that I tell students is that "it always works when the instructor does it."

Well, there is still a puzzle.  Why is it that an uploaded vtt file works, which in the URL shows that it is on my server, but a URL to the vtt file outside of moodledata but on the same server does not work?  Might we have gremlins in our Moodles?

In reply to Rick Jerz

AL Rachels - દ્વારા
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Rick,

I know I've seen you mention details of your server before, but offhand I can´t remember them, but the cause can depend on your operating system. For instance, my main server is running Centos 7 with SELinux in enforcing mode. With that setup my web server cannot doing anything with any file unless it is in my www, moodledata, or red5 webapps folder.

I know back before I retired and before the current Moodle capability of handling video files the way it does now, I used to run videos in Moodle with both the video and vtt files located in my red5/webapps/vod folder.

I also remember also having to fine tune modsecurity at times, to get Moodle to handle some files.

In reply to AL Rachels

Rick Jerz - દ્વારા

Al, thanks for your post and maybe you are on to something.  I have CentOS6 and Linux.

I wonder if it has something to do with the way the video tries to "stream" both the video and the captions.  Maybe I got lucky at MoodleMoot and just had fast connections for my referenced vtt file to kick in.  I wonder if when the vtt file is uploaded, Moodle caches it immediately whereas if it is referenced on what appears to be an external URL, Moodle tries to coordinate the reading of the vtt file with reading and displaying the video.

Regardless, I don't mind uploading the vtt files since they are quite small and do not significantly increase my moodledata size.  If Moodle forced me to always upload videos, this would be a different story.  None of my videos are uploaded into my Moodle.