Question where Any Response is Correct Using GIFT Format

Question where Any Response is Correct Using GIFT Format

by Jessica Peter -
Number of replies: 4

I'm trying to write a multiple choice question in GIFT format in which any answer can be correct. I would still want radio buttons rather than checkboxes - still only one response. I wrote it like this, but unfortunately this is the same way to write a short-answer question so it shows up as a short-answer:

// ::intcomm_q1::
I am comfortable communicating with people who are not fluent in English.
     {=Strongly disagree
      =Disagree
      =Undecided
      =Agree
      =Strongly agree}

Then to test, I created a question in the Moodle Quiz Editor and then exported it to see if it would export differently, but I can't see any difference (other than the additional style formats). This one DOES show up as a multiple choice quiz with any answer being correct, and not a short answer.

// question: 1  name: comm_q1
::comm_q1::[html]<p>I am able to describe the characteristics of effective communications.<br></p>{
    =<p>Strongly agree<br></p>
    =<p>Agree<br></p>
    =<p>Neutral<br></p>
    =<p>Disagree<br></p>
    =<p>Strongly Disagree<br></p>
}

Is there a way to let Moodle know in GIFT format that the question style I want is a multiple choice question with any answer being correct, rather than a short answer?  I'm using Moodle 3.3

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jessica Peter

Re: Question where Any Response is Correct Using GIFT Format

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Your question looks like you might consider using the Questionnaire plugin instead. I find it excellent, though you can't import and export questions. You can export the response data as a CSV file and import it into Excel to post-process.

In reply to Eoin Campbell

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Or Feedback, which is in core.

In reply to Melanie Scott

by Jessica Peter -

Thanks to you both, though neither of the options quite work for me. I am using both graded and ungraded questions within the same questionnaire. The Quiz function still works better for my purposes - it does allow questions with any response option as correct, there just doesn't seem to be a way to indicate that using GIFT format.

I was really only trying to avoid writing questions one-by-one, as there are a lot of questions that I'm working on, so Gift Format is quicker. That said, my current work-around is to write the question in GIFT with one response option indicated as incorrect, and then go into the Quiz editor in Moodle to switch any response to "100%". Not ideal, but much quicker than writing individual questions in the Quiz editor.

In reply to Jessica Peter

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Amazing! I never heard of the Feedback activity before. For some reason it is disabled on my Moodle server.

If you want to write lots of questions outside the Moodle Question Bank, you could consider using my WordTable plugin, which lets you write the questions in Microsoft Word and import them in batches. You can also set the grade values for all answers to 100% in Multiple Choice Questions, which would save you having to edit them inside Moodle. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)