problems with Moodle 3.3

problems with Moodle 3.3

by Adriana Mallo -
Number of replies: 4

We have installed Moodle 3. 3 in our university and we have been having lots of problems. Many actions have been deleted, some students have been deleted, some tasks were setn and disappeared later on. 

One teacher sent us the foolowing notice that appeared to her: Warning Activity Deletion in progress ! Some grades are about to be removed.

She said that 100 students "disappeared" and students from previous years "appeared".

Can anybody help us? Does this have anything to do with this version of moodle? with installation?

We have been using different versions of Moodle for 16 years and never had this kind of problems.

Another question: isMoodle   back up automatic? or it has to be set up?

Attachment moodle.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Adriana Mallo

Re: problems with Moodle 3.3

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I have never heard anything like that in connection with Moodle 3.3

My guess is that you have removed an authentication or enrolment plugin somewhere. The entire plugin may have been missed during the upgrade, it may be an old version that doesn't work, it may have been disabled. Any of these would cause the associated users to be 'removed'. 

So, check if you were using any non-core authentication or enrolment plugins and make sure they have been upgraded properly.

In reply to Howard Miller

by Adriana Mallo -

Thanks a lot! We'll check what you recommend and let's see what happens

by Marina Glancy -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Moodle Workplace team Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The warning "Warning Activity Deletion in progress ! Some grades are about to be removed." is caused by recycle bin. Presence of this message means that your cron is not running and not clearing the deleted activities properly.

by Matt T -

No, backup is not automatic, you must set up a way to back the site up.

However, I'm not sure if that's the biggest concern here, but rather forms a totality of your Moodle setup that greatly places your site and your users at risk

As somebody who works in IT Security, please heed my advice and:

1. Put HTTPS on Moodle.

2. Stop using Windows XP, which has not received security updates for over 3 years. Yes, this impacts Moodle, because if you're a system administrator of your Moodle instance you are opening your administrator credentials up to and thus your site, a major exploit. There's no excuse to be using it any more.