Comparisons and advocacy

Why Moodle may not be the best solution for a paid online training site

A Coloradian who was sucked into facebook against his wishes
Why Moodle may not be the best solution for a paid online training site

I created a screencast to demonstrate this. It is about five minutes long. 

I welcome any comments. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Marcus Green
Re: Why Moodle may not be the best solution for a paid online training site
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Hi Walter

I am a long time Moodle user and it is excellent for no classroom/distance learning and it is highly focused on teaching and learning. It offers more capabilities in core than any alternatives and once you add in plugins it is in an entirely different category to the alternatives. However .....

It is not designed or focused on the paying side of things, for which there are many add-ons but which would require either some integration effort and or additional payment.  You can see some of these solutions here

https://moodle.org/plugins/browse.php?list=category&id=22

If you read the philosophy document about Moodle here

https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/Philosophy

(That document dates from 2005) You will see that interaction between people is key to the design rather than a content delivery model.

Thanks for posting your video as it is interesting to see the thought processes people go through when deciding on a VLE, it would be interesting if you were to post again when you have made a decision.

Thank you for the reply. Interesting to read the  Moodle philosophy. 

Since making the video, I have discovered that editing the "Course Overview" block goes a long way to help a new user find the course that he/she has just signed up for. 

I am also looking into Opigno, which is Drupal CMS modified to be an LMS. So far I have been disappointed in Opigno. IMO: Opigno has potential, but does really work, and is certainly not ready for prime time. Opigno also has high system requirements, and will not work with many shared hosting providers. 

I think Drupal may have the best free payment system of any popular open source system. I am thinking about using Drupal, and adding modules to make it a paid "Training Delivery System" - I think it's called. I will post another comment if that goes anywhere.  

Average of ratings: -

I have to take back my comment about the "Course Overview" block.

I tried creating a new user, and now it does not work.

Mary Cooch
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

What does not work? The user needs to be enrolled in a course for activities to appear. You can try logging in to the School demo site school.demo.moodle.net after ten past the hour and before five to the hour (it gets reset on the hour so you might see some odd behaviour) Log in with username = student and password =moodle and you should see some activity on the course overview block.

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

One fairly common approach is to create a two-part system.

Put your marketing material and the payment part in a Drupal site, and put the learning activities in the Moodle site. Obviously, you set up single-sign-on between the two systems, so it is seamless to users, and you use the Moodle Database Enrolment plugin, so that you can use the information in Drupal about who has paid for what to ensure the right students can only access the right courses.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)

I have taken a look at integrating Drupal and Moodle.

Might not be a bad idea.

From the Drupal site:

> Tested on Moodle 2.3, 2.4 and 2.6, but should work on other versions as well.

https://www.drupal.org/project/commerce_moodle

Looks like this has not been tested in a while. A lot has changed with Moodle since then.

I cannot seem to find any review of this. Do you know of anybody who has done this lately?

Picture of Derek Chaplin

One of the things missing from Moodle IMHO, is a means to rate teachers and courses based on student feedback. This is something that most likely goes against the Moodle philosophy.

You my 2 cents worth.

Picture of Marcus Green
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Giving students the ability to rate teachers can have its issues. I got two ratings on a site that did that, one praised my teaching and the other simply said I had a nice bottom. MY fellow teachers claimed I posted the second one.

Picture of Visvanath Ratnaweera
Particularly helpful Moodlers
You are talking to the wrong crowd. Try "Moodle for Business Uses" https://moodle.org/course/view.php?id=32.

I went to the "Moodle for Business Uses" forum. Seems to be fairly inactive.

I posted anyway. Will see how it goes.

Picture of Mihir J

Hi Walter

Good post.

Actually to use moodle in paid online learning site, you need to extend moodle, to do few things

a) A plugin where you can show the course details - which people call it marketing of the course

b) a shopping cart - to resolve the flow you have shown in the video as well as giving various options

We have developed this and it seems to be working out well with our customers. Have a look at http://english.azliquortraining.com/  a sample site.

Please note - this is not a promotion, it is just to show you that it is possible to do it.

On another approach discussed here - drupal + moodle , actually after Moodle 3.3 , it is so convenient to replicate few things of drupal in moodle itself that many people no longer prefer two systems. 

thanks!

Mihir

Mihir J,

Thank you for your reply.

Great looking site. Very nice work.

Did you do this with just Moodle? Or did you buy some add-on? Or integrate with Drupal or something?

If you did it with just Moodle, did you have to actually write PHP code? Or did you do it with configuration and standard plug-ins?

Can you give some examples of features in Moodle 3.3 that replicate Drupal functionality? Do you know if Moodle plans to add any new feature in 3.4 or later that would be relevant to what I'm trying to do?