Cloze question points

Cloze question points

by Al Henneberger -
Number of replies: 4

I am writing some questions for my 3.2 question bank.  In one particular instance I want to use the Cloze format.  I know Cloze format is setup like this:  Some lead-in text {points:type:=correct ans} some follow-on text.

What I like about the Cloze is that I can ask several questions in one.  Having said that, I would like to make each part worth 0.5 points instead of 1 due to the degree of difficulty and to put it in line with other exam questions.

For example, I want something like this:

<picture>

This picture has {0.5:NM:=2} trees.

This picture has {0.5:NM:=0} flowers.

The USS Enterprise's (NCC-1701) Chief Engineer is played by {:SA:=Dohan ~=James Dohan}.

End example.

How can I set the parts of a Cloze question to less than 1?  I have tried the above.  I have also tried to give 50% credit for the correct answer.  Both fail parsing.  I have not yet installed the TinyMCE Cloze editor.

Or is there a way to say that question, no matter how many parts, is worth X points in a manner similar to other question types?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Al Henneberger

Re: Cloze question points

by Greg R -

Morning,

Does it work to keep the ratio between the Cloze questions the same?  For example,

This picture has {1:NM:=2} trees.

This picture has {1:NM:=0} flowers

The USS Enterprize's (NCC-1701) Chief Engineer is played by {2:SA:=Dohan~=James Dohan}.

Then in the Editing quiz window, set the points possible for the Cloze quiz question to 2.00 points.  Thus the first two questions will each receive 1/4 of the total possible points and the last question will receive 1/2.

Sorry if this is off-base...first time responding.  Cheers.

In reply to Greg R

by Al Henneberger -

Thanks for the reply.

A question point value field was the first thing I looked for.  Unfortunately, there is no such block for this question type unlike all other question types.

In the preview, there is an option to assign question point value, but it is not retained like it is for other questions types.  Possibly, because there is no point block.

Your suggestion might work if I could assign a point value to the question.

In reply to Al Henneberger

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The total question point value is always set while editing the quiz. The value in other questions is only really only the default the default value for the question.

In reply to Daniel Thies

by Al Henneberger -

Thanks for the reply.

I understand now.

I had always previously set question point value in the question itself.

Default score

But, I believe I see what you mean and can set the maximum point value of a question in the quiz like this.

Question max points

While I had read the documentation, I had not read it thoroughly--obviously.

One statement in the 3.2 documentation is "The grade for the randomly chosen question will be rescaled so that the maximum grade is what you have chosen as the grade for the random question."  I interpret this to mean that for a randomly selected question, if I set the maximum value to 2 the question is rescaled to 2 no matter the default point value.  For example, a random 1 point question is now 2 and a random 3 point question is also now 2.  This is great for Cloze questions since they do not have a default value.  Later statements in the documentation support this.  

My question bank has a mix of question types of differing values and I would like to retain that differentiation.  Is there a way to retain the various default values and still use random question selection?  Or am I, again, missing something in the documentation.