Submission mark not calculating correctly in Workshop

Submission mark not calculating correctly in Workshop

by Hazel Gatehouse -
Number of replies: 7

Kia ora people

If I change the weighting to 0 for a student who has not made a good job of assessing an assignment, the average mark for the submission is not always calculating correctly.  It does a lot of the time, but every now and then the calculation of the average keeps the 0 weighted mark in the calculation.

Also - with the Allocation of submissions, some students ended up with more assignments to mark, that what I had stipulated in the scheduled allocation.

Any clues as to why this is happening?

Thanks

Hazel

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hazel Gatehouse

Re: Submission mark not calculating correctly in Workshop

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

every now and then the calculation of the average keeps the 0 weighted mark in the calculation

That's weird. Once the "Recalculate grades" button is used, the assessment with zero weight should be effectively ignored.

some students ended up with more assignments to mark

If I remember correctly, it may happen under certain circumstances. Are you using some group mode?

In reply to David Mudrák

by Hazel Gatehouse -

Hi David

Yes, I agree it's weird, but also concerning - the largest difference was 0.45 for a submission worth 4 marks, so that makes quite a difference.  Out of 301 submissions, there were 149 differences in the averages - 50 were 0.04 or less (I removed the 0.01s).  A nightmare to check smile!  But now I'm worried that this may have been happening all the time, and I've never picked up on it.

I'll attach the file of the marks with my averages, so you can have a look.

I've just noticed that even one of the marks has been averaged incorrectly, even without weighting any of the marks at 0 - highlighted in yellow.

As for point 2 - no I'm not using a group mode.

cheers

Hazel

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

With regards to the yellow highlighted cells in the spreadsheet - can you please attach a screenshot of how those data look like in Moodle itself?

In reply to David Mudrák

by Hazel Gatehouse -

Hi David

Here's that particular example

and here's the worst one where I've removed marks

cheers

Hazel

by David Mudrák -

Can you please make sure that

• the Workshop is switched into the Evaluation phase
  • and use the button "Re-calculate grades"

I agree it is a un-intuitive and annoying but currently this button has to be pressed manually to recalculate the final grades (such as after changing weights). One of those little yet essential things to be improved in the Workshop. Thanks for understanding.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Hazel Gatehouse -

Hi David

I have done this several times, before emailing the forum.

I've been using Workshops for several years, so I am very familiar with it.  This is the first time I've noticed any of these types of issues.

The averages have calculated correctly in another course - just won't in this particular course.

Do you think it could be because it has 300 + students?

cheers

Hazel

by David Mudrák -

Ok, that's weird then. That workflow should just work. Are you able to raise the debugging level to DEBUG_DEVELOPER (maximum level) and turn displaying error messages on? Something malicious is happening here ...