course administration missing

course administration missing

by Filippo Carnevali -
Number of replies: 17

Hi,

I've noticed that since a week the course administration panel disappeard.

It's not a theme related issues, i tried switching theme.

The error.log is clean.

No admin can administer any course.

Any suggestion?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Filippo Carnevali

Re: course administration missing

by ken collinson -

I too have found the course administration block missing from all the courses, except one, ever since the 3.3 upgrade about 3 weeks ago using the latest version.

I am unable to add it back in, as the block addin does not show it, presumably because it believes that the block is already 'allocated' to the course..

I only wanted to use it to allocate some badges, and I assume that the bug will get fixed at some point, but .. hey ho..

Thanks for a great moodle otherwise

In reply to ken collinson

by W C -

Same here too.. Its gone..

Unlock it in admin/blocks.php .. doesn't work.. Have Administration > Site Administration on home page, but no where else.

This is a big problem. How else are we to register students?

In reply to W C

by W C -

Its simply 'not there'

rt7u5647 u

In reply to W C

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

From v3.2, there is no longer a course administration block - just click on the cog at the top right of the course and you will get the admin menu. Also see https://docs.moodle.org/32/en/New_for_teachers#Course_editing

In reply to Jon Bolton

by W C -

Uhmm, well dude, that doesnt work/help here. You are assuming everyone is using the same Moodle theme as 

you and seeing what you see, which isnt the case here.

Also, there 'is' a Course administration block with 3.1, 3.2 and 3.3, just not in 3.4 for some reason, because we have been using and adding this block to courses with no challenges until v 3.4.

We are now using Moodle v. 3.4.1 and our user interface looks like this:

Also, I am a site admin not an editing teacher but thanks for trying..

In reply to W C

by Jon Bolton -

I’m not assuming anything, simply stating that in the navigation has changed from 3.2.

And in the context of my reply, your level of permission doesn’t matter - editing teachers and site admins will still see the same course editing settings.

Anyway… I think you said you can see the Administration block listed in yourmoodle/admin/blocks.php, and that you can access it from the front page... so, turn editing on, click on the cog in the admin block to configure the block settings. Check the settings for “Where this block appears”.

In reply to Jon Bolton

by W C -

The example you referenced in the link does not look like what we have. Your example uses a modified version of RemUI. (https://edwiser.org/remui/) which we (and others) may/are not. Therefor, your direction on how to make the necessary correction are not useful in this case.

Navigation (administration block) functionality hasn't changed since v 2.6. They may have added a few new blocks but other than that its stayed the same. We've been using Moodle for about 5 years now.

To answer your question; the block in administration is there on the home/main. But that doesn't help when we want to register students into courses.  

There is no 'cog admin' block, because we aren't using the same Moodle theme as you (RemUI) therefor we do not see what you see in the way you see it. ONLY users with the same theme can use your excellent guidance and direction. 

The Administration > Course administration block, will just not appear on any course pages with v3.4

This is the conundrum...

In reply to W C

by Jon Bolton -

Can you please read the full text of the help above... I didn’t say “cog admin” block... I said, “click on the cog IN the admin block”... or do whatever you normally do to edit a block’s settings!

You need to edit the block in the front page to see if it is set to show throughout the site. You can’t enrol users to courses from the front page, but it’s the same block with context sensitive links throughout the site, so just check that it is actually set it show throughout the site.

As an emergency measure, you can access course enrolment from course/admin.php?courseid=5, replacing 5 with the id number of the course you need to be in.

ps. assuming you mean the link to the Moodle Docs... it has nothing to do with edwiser, it’s the standard Moodle theme. I hadn’t realised you were not using Boost... but for future readers, there is no Administration block in Boost by default although it can be added if needed. All of the course admin functionality in the Admin block is accessed via the cog at the top right of the course.

pps. Noticed you posted twice in this forum about this issue, and also in the General Help forum. Moodle forum etiquette is not to post multiple times smile

In reply to Jon Bolton

by W C -

Awesome, thank you for your great comments, I am sure they will be very useful to all that are using the 'Boost' theme. Appreciated muchly, however, for those of us that are NOT using the 'Boost' theme;

How do we access the Administration > Course administration >Users > Enrolled users, block for each course page?

I found this and hope it helps others.  *This assumes that you have the administration block enabled and unlocked:

(Administration > Site Administration > Plugins > Blocks > Manage blocks)

To find the enrolment page, go to the *course page* > THIS COURSE > PEOPLE (they hid it here, go figure angry)

This will take you to the enrolment page for the course you are in. Hope this helps you... God bless.

P.S. (this is a work around, I could not get the Course Administration block to reappear on the course pages. As stated by Jon, it appears that this block has been removed/relocated in Moodle v3.4

Thanks for your help and patience Jon.  smile

In reply to W C

by Jon Bolton -

So... "they" are the designers of your theme. This is not and was not a bug in Moodle code.

I'm still intrigued - did you edit the admin block on the front page and check whether it was visible on all pages?

In reply to Jon Bolton

by W C -

Hello sir, yes, I have.. this is what I see from Site Administration >Administration > Configuration:

So again, I can't get the Admin block to even be a selectable option in the course page as shown below...

Please advise... thanks in advance.

In reply to Jon Bolton

by Shaa Dea -

Thanks a lot for that post, you saved my day. I had the same issue, course admin not showing, because admin block was not set to show on entire site (only front page).

Finally I got that fixed, I was looking for several days already!

In reply to Filippo Carnevali

by Rahul Kumar -

Hi,

Course administration has been removed from the dashboard in the updated versions of Moodle.

However there are just a few steps you need to follow to get 'Course Administration' block back for your Moodle courses.

1) Login to your Moodle website as Admin.

2) Turn editing on / click on "Customize this page" option at the top-right of the main page.

3) Go to any course or My courses page and click on "add block" option present in the dashboard.

4) Click on the "Administration" option.

5) Doing that will add the requested "Course Administration" block on the right hand side of the Course page. (see image)

[P.S : These steps are valid for all themes, be it Boost or RemUI, I tested it in multiple themes, worked for all of them.]

Attachment Course  ADM110 Office Administration 1.png
In reply to Rahul Kumar

by W C -

Sorry sir, same problem .. we are not using the same theme as shown in your post.. therefor, things seen for me are not the same as for you, and vice versa. 

After I turn editing on, I do not see an option for 'customize this page' at the top right or any other location so, that is as far as I can go with your instructions.

Is there an alternate way in Moodle to see these options?

I appreciate your suggestion..thank you for trying.

In reply to W C

by Shaa Dea -

@W C: your problem starts at an earlier stage. Your admin block is probably set to show on front page only. I had the same problem, took me a while to realize that this was the problem. Go to your settings for the site (site administration), it should be on the left (depending on your theme). There will be a section about the admin block. In there you will find the option to set the visibility of the admin block. Set this to "all pages" or "whole site" (whatever it says). The default is "front page", and that causes this problem. Once you've set the visibility of the admin block it will appear on each page if you are locked in as admin.

In reply to Shaa Dea

by W C -

Nope, but thanks for trying...  wink

As you can see, its set up correctly... Can anyone else offer assistance?