Integrating Experience Points

Integrating Experience Points

by Gavin Kearns -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,

I'm running Moodle 3.3 and trying to implement a system for giving experience points in my gamified classroom.  I've tried the Level Up plugin however as far as I can tell that is based solely on things they do inside Moodle (viewing or submitting assignments etc.). 

I would like to structure my class so that I can assign experience points based on things that are done in my physical class and have Moodle track it.  So that I can give experience points based on grades earned both on assignments in and outside of Moodle along with badges earned outside of Moodle.  

Any ideas for workarounds to make this possible?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gavin Kearns

Re: Integrating Experience Points

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I'm unfamiliar with this field and don't know if there are any special characteristics of 'experience points'. However, won't a 'Manual grade item' do the job? See - Grade_items

In reply to Howard Miller

by Gavin Kearns -

I looked into it, and will detail my solution for further searches.  I ended up creating a new course called Experience Points and manually added items to grade called XP 1, 2, 3, and so on.  I hid the range and percentages.  I also had the gradebook display the total of points.  Finally, I changed the gradebook to not have a maximum which allowed me to type in any number of points.  I don't care about the actual number of points each assignment is worth so those still default to 100.

Thanks for the help.

In reply to Gavin Kearns

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

In the grade book, Moodle does offer the ability for some grade items to be "extra credit."  I am not exactly sure if this idea mirrors your "experience points," but I thought that I would mention it to you.  I use bonus point in my courses, providing a point for whenever a student identifies an "error" to me.  This helps sharpen students careful reading of information.

I also use "bonus activities."  These are optional, intended for students who like to go beyond the normal expected learning.  I put these into their own grade category in Moodle.  Students can increase their overall grade by up to 2% by getting bonus points.