Restrict Access problem

Restrict Access problem

by John Jackson -
Number of replies: 9

Greetings,

I am trying to restrict access to a certificate of completion using the standard "Restrict Access" rules in Moodle.

I have 3 rules setup that restrict access to the certificate. The student must complete a quiz with a passing grade, and submit two assignments with a passing grade. Then they get access to the certificate.

However the logic isn't working. I can see in a student's gradebook that he has a passing grade for all 3, yet the link to the certificate is still greyed out and inaccessible.

I experimented with the logic and changed it from requiring a passing grade to just "Must be marked complete" for all 3 and the student has access. But we need to make sure they have passing grades.

I am using the default competence scale on the assignments, and have the passing grade threshold set at 2.0. On the quiz I set the passing threshold at 60, and the student scored 100.

Where might I be missing a step?

Thanks!

John

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Jackson

Re: Restrict Access problem

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I think this might be a bug - what version of Moodle do you have? Here is a tracker issue relating to it : MDL-58196

It looks to have been  fixed for the next versions of Moodle out on 11 September, if you are able to upgrade.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by John Jackson -

Mary,

Yes, it does look like the same bug reported in tracker. I am using version 3.2+ currently, and will test again after installing the next Moodle update.

Many thanks!

John

In reply to Mary Cooch

by John Jackson -

Mary,

I installed the Moodle update that was released today, as you suggested. However it does not seem to have resolved the problem. In the attached screen shots I am logged in as a demo student who has passed the 3 required activities in order to gain access to a certificate. However in the second screen shot you will see that the link to that certificate is greyed out. 

I also updated the Custom Certificate plugin at the time of upgrading Moodle. The Moodle version is Moodle 3.3.2 (Build: 20170911)

I appreciate any other ideas on how to resolve this restriction problem.

thanks!

John

Attachment assessments.png
Attachment User gradebook.png
In reply to John Jackson

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

'Completed and passed' - did you set a passing grade ceriteria for the 3 activities within those activities settings? Otherwise, consider changing the certificates activity completion setting to requiring the student 'receive a grade' for the other three activities. 

In reply to John Provasnik

by John Jackson -

John,

Thanks for your suggestions. The 3 activities did all have a passing grade defined (60%, 2.00, and 2.00) and the learner has met all those criteria.

The restriction options do not have a choice for "receive a grade". The restriction choices are:

• Must be marked complete
  • Must not be marked complete
  • Must be complete with a pass grade
  • Must be completed with a fail grade

I can adjust the "completion" options for each of the activities so that they are complete when ANY grade is received. This isn't really what the client wants, but may have to be the workaround until this apparent bug is fixed. 

Unless I hear otherwise from our forum moderators, I will report this in Tracker.

John

In reply to John Jackson

by John Jackson -

I have closure on this and am adding this post for posterity.

After a dialog with the developers in Tracker, I removed all the restrictions on the certificate and saved. Then I added them all back, just as before. Now it works. The developer clarified that the patch does not go back and retroactively fix existing restrictions. So to take advantage of the patch in existing systems the restrictions must be removed and then recreated.

John

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John Jackson

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Is cron running?  Does the quiz show as completed in the completion report?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by John Jackson -

Emma,

Yes, cron is running, and the quiz does show as passed with a 100% score in the grade report.

John