Default Dashboard ignores 'hide' setting of blocks?

Default Dashboard ignores 'hide' setting of blocks?

by Frank Black -
Number of replies: 6

Moodle v3.2

If you go to the default dashboard (/my/indexsys.php), and set some blocks to hidden, then when you 'Reset Dashboard for all users', all the blocks are shown to users regardless of the blocks' view settings.

Can anyone confirm? Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frank Black

Re: Default Dashboard ignores 'hide' setting of blocks?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I haven't tested that, but if you don't want blocks to be shown why not just delete them?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Frank Black -

Yes, if it is a bug, then I probably will have to delete them. Thanks.

But to answer your question as to why I would ideally just want to hide them instead:

1) As admin, I want to see some of the blocks, and setting them to hide is the easiest way to do that.

2) Later on I might want to let other users see them again, and it is useful for me to know what the default blocks were. My approach for our high school is to disable everything that I possibly can in the beginning, and then enable some very select features one at a time in a controlled, testable, trainable manner throughout the year. If I just present people a default install, chaos ensues. And I don't like chaos one bit!

3) It is supposed to be possible, and I want to find out whether I'm doing something wrong or if my install/database is corrupt. I might jump onto the Mount Orange demo and quickly test it to see if I can reproduce what I'm seeing in our install. I'll post back.

EDIT: So I tested this on Mount Orange, and it works the same way as my site. Nothing's broken - that's a relief.

> As admin, I want to see some of the blocks, and setting them to hide is the easiest way to do that.

OK, so that's what I did in v25. If I hid the block on the default myhome page, it would be hidden for all other users, but not for me. To hide a block for myself, I would need to do it on my own myhome page. I guess this has changed since then. Hiding the blocks on the default dashboard just hides them for me on my own dashboard. So now I think we are just supposed to delete the blocks on the default dashboard, as you suggested Mary, and I will add blocks to my own dashboard if I want to see them.

Thanks for your input Mary!

In reply to Frank Black

by Kashmira Nagwekar -

• Manage blocks

Whatis :- Hiding_a_block

Whereis :- Site Administration -> Plugins -> Blocks -> Manage blocks

There is a common setting to hide blocks like calendar, private files, online users, latest badges and upcoming events, etc. under 'Manage blocks' setting in 'Site Admin'.

So, if we hide these blocks from here, the blocks will be hidden from all including admin.

If we need to hide some of the blocks on dashboard only from students (and keep those visible for teachers and admin), then we need to configure the ‘Default dashboard’ view in this case.

• Moodle’s default dashboard

Moodle Docs - Setting_the_default_Dashboard

The additional blocks on dashboard like private files, online users, latest badges, calendar and upcoming events are now visible only to admin and teachers and are hidden from students.

The setting for this is done as follows

1. Go to Site Admin -> Appearance -> Default Dashboard page;

2. Turn blocks editing on

3. Click on the settings icon for 'Private files' block

4. Click on 'Permissions'

5. In the row 'View block', under col 'Prohibited', add 'Students', 'Authenticated user on front page', 'Authenticated user' and then click on 'Back to block: Private files' at the bottom

6. Repeat steps 3-5 for the other blocks, i.e, calendar, latest badges etc.

7. After this, click on 'Reset dashboard for all users option' (available besides the 'Blocks editing' option)

Note :- In ‘Clean’ theme, it works as desired; but in ‘Boost’, some students were still able to see the blocks on their dashboard. So, in order to get these blocks hidden for all students in theme ‘Boost’, here is the way that worked for me -

• After clicking on ‘Permissions’, in step 4 above, you get a page listing a set of capabilities for that particular block; here, we need to add ‘Student’, ‘Authenticated user’, ‘Authenticated user on frontpage’ in the ‘Prohibited’ column for all the ‘Capabilities’ in that block. Same goes for every block you want to hide from students.

In reply to Kashmira Nagwekar

by taha zarouri -
 I try to test Hide block from Dashboard fro student or any role but all way are failed , inside the course i can hide the blocks from student but in the dashboard i cant ?? Any feedback about this issue ???
In reply to taha zarouri

by Kashmira Nagwekar -

Did you try this?

The additional blocks on dashboard like private files, online users, latest badges, calendar and upcoming events are now visible only to admin and teachers and are hidden from students.

The setting for this is done as follows

1. Go to Site Admin -> Appearance -> Default Dashboard page;

2. Turn blocks editing on

3. Click on the settings icon for 'Private files' block

4. Click on 'Permissions'

5. In the row 'View block', under col 'Prohibited', add 'Students', 'Authenticated user on front page', 'Authenticated user' and then click on 'Back to block: Private files' at the bottom

6. Repeat steps 3-5 for the other blocks, i.e, calendar, latest badges etc.

7. After this, click on 'Reset dashboard for all users option' (available besides the 'Blocks editing' option)