Disable items in the user menu

Re: Disable items in the user menu

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Site administration > Appearance> Themes and then in the Theme settings page there is a box User menu items. Delete the grades, messages and preferences link.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Frank Black -

Thanks. That is a great improvement on v25.

Can you also tell me why only admin can see 'custom menu items' (in the setting above the user menu items box)?
This also seems like a good feature, but I've never worked out how to get the menus to display for normal users.
The default theme is excellent for this custom menu because the menu appear in the unused space along the top.
If only I could work out how to get it to display!

Finally, I was wondering if it was possible to turn off the 'My Courses' listing in the nav menu?

Sorry, you answered one question, and got two more!

In reply to Frank Black

by Frank Black -

> Can you also tell me why only admin can see 'custom menu items' (in the setting above the user menu items box)?
> This also seems like a good feature, but I've never worked out how to get the menus to display for normal users.

Ah! For some reason it's suddenly decided to display.

So, just the second question then: Is it possible to disable or hide the 'My Courses' listing in the Boost menu (or 'nav draw')?

I understand how it is useful in further education, where a lecturer only teaches two or three different classes, and a student only takes four or five classes - so the list in the menu will be very, very short. However, in a high school both the teachers' and students' subject list will be well over a dozen items long, plus all the other support and extra-curricular courses which are additional to the actual subjects.

It's not nice having no control over the nav draw menu. As far as I know, we can't even disable it entirely and make our own hard-coded navigation menu from a block?

Thanks.

In reply to Frank Black

by Luis de Vasconcelos -
As far as I know, we can't even disable it entirely and make our own hard-coded navigation menu from a block?
Under Site administration/ Appearance / Themes / Theme settings you can define your own custom menu in the custommenuitems section.
In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Paul Raper -

Related, but not necessarily the same.

In the left hand navigation block, you have a list of options for the students which includes a table of contents, is there any way to hind that table of contents?

Regards,

Paul

Attachment 2018-05-31 13_50_01-Course_ Test - Firefox Nightly.png
In reply to Paul Raper

by Martin Greenaway -

This is a very late answer to your question, Paul, but I've just come across your comment and on the off-chance it's still relevant, there's a plugin that will allow you to do a number of useful things with the navigation links in that nav drawer, such as hiding things and making the in-course topic links collapsible: https://moodle.org/plugins/local_boostnavigation

In reply to Paul Raper

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Yes, Paul, but not naturally.  Gareth's Collapsed Topics add-in will let you hide those.  I do this on my Moodle.