Web conferencing plugins

bigbluebuttonbn 2.1.12 not detecting roles

Picture of Romeo Sulzer
bigbluebuttonbn 2.1.12 not detecting roles

Hi Jesus,

Since we've upgraded to the BigBlueButton 2.1.12 activity plugin, the user roles are not detected anymore (Participants in the activity settings), e.g teachers do not get moderator controls when joining the webinar or they can't join at all if the option "wait for a moderator" has been checked.  This affects existing and newly created BigBlueButton activities. We've had this issue with previous upgrades, however then it only affected existing activities.  When specifying the user directly by name, the moderator assignment works fine.

We are on moodle 3.3 and BigBlueButton 1.1. 

Any ideas what we could check?

Thank you for your appreciated work!

Cheers,
Romeo

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Jesus Federico
Re: bigbluebuttonbn 2.1.12 not detecting roles
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developers

Hi Romeo,

I was able to reproduce what you described.

Can you please try the version attached? If you confirm that works I'll include this fix as part of the monthly release.

Thanks,

JF

Picture of Romeo Sulzer

Hi Jesus,

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to fix the issue, the plugin still doesn't detect the lecturer role.  I've purged the Moodle cache before testing it and re-added the role assignment in the participants section.

Thanks for your support.

Kind regards,
Romeo

Yeah, I made a mistake when applying the "fix"

Can you please try this one?

JF

Picture of Romeo Sulzer

Hi Jesus,

I've just tried the new file, however I'm afraid it still doesn't fix the issue.  After replacing mod/bigbluebutton with the new version, I've purged the cache and logged out & in before testing.  I've tested it with existing and new courses by switching my role to "Lecturer".  I've also removed all role assignments and re-added them without any success.

Kind regards,
Romeo

Hi Romeo,

I am sorry I couldn't wait. I had to release the new version. v2.1.13 is now available in the Moodle Plugin Directory.

There is clearly something else affecting your instance. The patch fixed most other sites I had reported with the same issue.

I will be happy to follow up with you though. So, lets get back and try to reproduce the issue. But lets play safe and use the version in the Moodle Plugin Directory.

Have you tried to reproduce the issue in a clean Moodle installation?

Can you send me a sample of your mdl_bigbluebuttonbn table? you can send it directly to private message. I would only need an excerpt that includes one or some of the activity/rooms with the issue. 

Also, are you using custom roles? If this is the case, have you tried using any of the Moodle default roles?

JF

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Romeo Sulzer

Hi Jesus,

Thank you for your feedback.  I can confirm that it seems to work, the issue was that I've tested the role assignments by using the "role switch" function with my admin account in a course that I wasn't enrolled to.  In that constellation, bigbluebutton doesn't seem to detect the correct role.  I was under the impression that this was working before.

In any case, I've created  a test user and enrolled this user as a teacher in a course and then the role detection worked fine.

Thank you very much!

Kind regards,
Romeo

Picture of Sergio Rabellino

Did you see the suggestion in the last pull request on github?

I believe that the submitter has pointed out the bug in role mapping.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Romeo Sulzer

Hi Sergio,

Great, thanks for pointing that out!

Kind regards,
Romeo