Enable Global Forum Activity (General Forum Discussion)

Enable Global Forum Activity (General Forum Discussion)

by Bala Ganesan -
Number of replies: 6

Hello, 

i am using latest Moodle version i.e  MOODLE 3.3.

I am trying to find an option where Students/Teachers of all the Courses to have a Global/General Forum Discussion.

But i can only found an option to add a Forum activity in a course..

Can anyone help to me configure forum option outside the course (or Global Forum) ?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bala Ganesan

Re: Enable Global Forum Activity (General Forum Discussion)

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello - I can't see a way other than enrolling all of them into a course - is that such a big problem? You could make a link to this course on your front page and the course could be in Single activity format, so that only the forum is present.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Bala Ganesan -

Hi Mary,

Thank you for your input. I made a Meta-Course for this purpose and now all users in the system are enrolled into this course. Then i change the format to Single activity format and selected the Forum Activity. This Forum always defaults to become an Announcement Type forum. I tried to change the type, but did not find the option to do so

Thanks,

Bala

In reply to Bala Ganesan

by S. kavita -
Picture of Testers

Hi Bala,

Also you can enable the "Include topic section" which you will find under the Site administration>Front page settings.

Once you enable this a topic section will be available on front page and there you can add a Global forum which will be available for all the users who are registered on the site(as per your settings, as if you have given the access of front page to guest then they can also be able to view the forum).

I hope this will help you out.

Happy Moodling

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to S. kavita

by Bala Ganesan -

Thanks Kavita,

That was really helpful

regards,

bala

In reply to Bala Ganesan

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Bala- I haven't been able to replicate your problem with the forum defaulting to an announcements forum in the single activity format. I tried on demo.moodle.net so perhaps you can try there too. I made a new blank course and when I set it up I selected course format > Single activity and I selected forum. Then when I clicked to go into the forum it said it was a standard forum, and it worked for the students. So I am not quite sure how yours is different/

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Bala Ganesan -

Thank you Mary - 

I will try  this on demo.moodle.net . I think some config is wrong in my system. 

Thanks for your support.