Conversion/Migration of LDAP accounts to OpenId connect

Conversion/Migration of LDAP accounts to OpenId connect

by Leticia Dark-rose -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

I am currently researching the plugins to integrate Office 365 with our Moodle site. I am hoping to get some advice on how to change over the current LDAP created users to authentication using OpenID Connection.

So... a bit of background. Staff have global network IDs to access their computer, intranet etc. which are stored in Active Directory, and this is currently how their Moodle accounts have been created. IT has then rolled out Office 365 giving us another user id to access the o365 office suite (via email address). 

Is there any way to activate OpenID authentication so when a user logs in it updates the account (i am thinking unlikely)..... or

does anyone have any suggestions on how I can amend ~ 1500 account quickly without losing any grades?

Hopeful 

Leticia

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Leticia Dark-rose

Re: Conversion/Migration of LDAP accounts to OpenId connect

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

Without knowing much about how Microsoft authentication products work, this part seems odd to me:
> Staff have global network IDs to access their computer, intranet etc. which are stored in Active Directory, and [...]. IT has then rolled out Office 365 giving us another user id to access the o365 office suite (via email address).

Both are Microsoft technology. Then why a give a new account? Have a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Directory_Federation_Services, for example.

Or, is the problem that the original (institution) login ID was just a name, the new login ID (for Office 365) is name@your.domain?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: Conversion/Migration of LDAP accounts to OpenId connect

by Leticia Dark-rose -

Hi Visvanath,

I completely agree... i think it was because these ids (active active directory) were in existence for a long time so they drew a line in the sand and gave new users the Office 365 accounts an d additional ids for the old users.

the active directory usernames follows these formulas (that is have learnt so far):

1. firstname last initital (johns or johnsm when this name has been taken)
  2. firstname lastname (johnsmith)
  3. and now to replicate the o365 account (john.smith)

the office id is john.smith@email.com