Resource is not showing up

Resource is not showing up

by Inna Abcid -
Number of replies: 5

I uploaded MS Word file as a resource, about 8 pages long.  I was able to review it as a admin and as a student.   Next day when I trying to review it I got an empty page.  I trying to upload another file, which is 3 pages long, have the same result. 

Need help ASAP.

Thank you,

Inna

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Inna Abcid

Re: Resource is not showing up

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Inna

Could this be a problem with your browser?
Are you using a different browser? Either way, you could try a different browser (e.g. Firefox).
Is your browser's cache broken? Sometimes they do, and files are not dispalyed. If so clear the browser cache (Tools > Internet Options in Internet Explorer).

To help us diagnose the problem,

right click on the empty page and press view source. What do you see?

To reassure yourself that the files have not disappeared, please have a look in the folder
moodledata/x/
where "x" is the number that is displayed in the url of the course homepage view.php?id=x
and check that the files are there.

Tim

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Inna Abcid -

Hi Tim,

My files are showing up ok on another computer with IE 6, but it takes about 1 min to load.  But on my home computer, it doesn't showing up regardless how long I wait and on the status bar at the bottom of the browser it says that page is loaded but with some errors.   I didn't have a chance to get to my home computer yet.  So I will try to clean up the cache once again and check the source if there anything.

Inna

In reply to Inna Abcid

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Inna,
I am not sure...If it is downloading on another computer then it seems that it is not a Moodle problem. I am not sure why it is taking a long time to download. Is it a large file? Does it have big graphics inside it?
Are you getting the file to be displayed in a popup window?
Tim

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Inna Abcid -

Hi Tim,

I cleaned up the cache and check out the source.  It doesn't display the document I put into resource.  I added to the resource two documents, both are MS Word format, one contains about 7 pictures copied from book and another contains 3 pictures.

When at first I started to load resources, I was given a choice to upload the file into the directory that contains all the images.  The directory was

moodledata / 2 / .  But when I click to view the resource then  URL  is moodle/mod/resource/view.php?id=22.

I don't know how come I am able to see the file on the other computer. 

Now I created the directory 22 under moodledata and put the file there.  Still nothing.  I  decided to modify setting for the resource to make sure it reads from directory ~moodledata/22/ and not ~moodledata/2/.  But Moddle doesn't give me a chance to go up the directory tree.  In the directory listing for upload option there is drop down choice "move to another folder", but when I select it nothing happen, I didn't get a listing of the directories.

Inna

In reply to Inna Abcid

by Timothy Takemoto -

Inna

You left the link to the resource in the above post (if you don't want to do so in future then use the broken link icon, the center of the three chain link icons, in the tool bar).

It seems to be pointing to the wrong place.

When I go to your site, I find that your Moodle installation is not in a "/moodle" directory (as seems to be the case from the link above) but in a "/bss" directory.

Is your config.php set up correctly? I think that if CFG->wwroot were incorrect you would not even be able to login but the above does not look right.

Additionally your data directory is Web viewable - probably not a good idea since your course materials can be seen by everyone. You should put it above your public_html (or similar) web directory, in a directory that is not viewable from the Web.

The discrepancy between the "2" and the "22" is nothing to worry about. The 2 is the id of your course, so the data folder should be /2/ the 22 is the id of the resource, which should point to folder /2/.

There should never be any need to create the course data folder yourself. It is created automatically as soon as you upload somethign or make a backup.  

I was able to download the materials in course /2 and the null course /22/ both are 1.5MB, but due to the speed of your sever it takes quite a long time to download. (And very interesting it is too.)

Tim

By the way it is "Moodle" not "Moddle"smile, even though one can get in quite a...