General help

Ex-administrators are left with course creator role. Is this a bug in v32?

Picture of Frank Black
Ex-administrators are left with course creator role. Is this a bug in v32?

Ex-administrators are left with permanent course creator role.

Is this a bug in v32? 

Steps to reproduce:

In the site administrators section, remove the admin role from a user.

Go to Assign System Roles. The user is still listed as a Course Creator.

They cannot be removed from the role, as it is greyed out.

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Re: Ex-administrators are left with course creator role. Is this a bug in v32?
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

I can't replicate this when removing an administrator -after first having added them as a course creator. Can you send some screenshots?( Note there is no need for an administrator to have a course creator role anyway) When you say, ex-administrators, you mean they are still on the site but no longer site administrators?

Picture of Frank Black

> after first having added them as a course creator
> Note there is no need for an administrator to have a course creator role anyway

That's weird then, because I/we didn't add the two users as course creators.

The users were just added as administrators on a newly installed site, and the course creator entries just appeared on their own.

So is there anything special about the default course creator role? In other words, what would happen if I created a new one by copying it, and then deleted the original? Would this affect the inner workings of the site, or would using the user-created one be seamless?

Picture of Howard Miller
Group Core developersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developers

Hmmmm....

Administrators don't work the same way as other site roles. The internal id number of the user is actually just added to a string in the configuration settings. It doesn't go near the normal role settings. 

I find it very unlikely that they would 'remain' as some other role. Given our other discussions about roles, I would check very carefully any role-related settings you have changed from their defaults. Most of these site-wide settings come under the banner of, "don't change unless you *really* know what you are doing"

Picture of S. kavita
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Frank,

I have done your process to replicate the issue but could not be able to as I am able to remove the user from both first as Site admin and then from its course creator role.

What I did?

First I have assigned a user to site course creator role

Then I assign the site admin role to his both Main admin and normal site admin

Then I again unassigned him from the admin role

Finally I go under the Assign system role and then unassigned him from Course creator role.

Everything goes smoothly. So if I had missed anything then please specify your way of doing it.

Thanks.

Picture of Frank Black

Still no idea what caused this, but I have tried the following solution:

· Changed 'coursecreator' to 'coursecreator(origiinal)'

· Unticked 'system' and 'category' from the assigned contexts.

· Created a new 'coursecreator' role based on the original, and re-enabled the contexts for it.

It seems OK. If I have problems in the future with course creation, I'll post back.

Picture of Frank Black

Hmm.. the user appeared as a course creator again (on the new role).

The only thing I can think of is that the technician somehow set this up via LDAP.

I've no idea why he would bother doing that though. It would also be very unlike him to want to do anything to Moodle except a basic install.

And as far as I'm aware, the LDAP file only has a username and password in it.

I'll have a chat with him.

Picture of Nathaniel Latoni

I am experiencing a similar issue with a brand new installation of both 32 and 33. I am only using manual user auth.

Steps to reproduce:

• Add a couple of users to the site.
  • Add one of those users to the site admins for the site. 
  • Wait a day or two.
  • Check and see that the site admin list has changed.

No one else has manually changed them. In my case I was seeing a user that I had never selected as a site administrator show up in the site admin column. I have also experienced the other way where a user that was in the site admin column was "magically" removed from the list. 

This definitely appears to be a bug. I've tried watching the CRON logs to see if there's anything helpful/related there, but have come up empty.

Anyone else have any ideas for fixing this issue?

Picture of Nathaniel Latoni

Just a quick update. I've disabled cacheing at the theme layer and changed the theme to Clean. The site administrator setting appears to hold/isn't getting reset periodically. I'll be doing some more investigation into how cacheing would affect this.

Picture of Frank Black

>  In my case I was seeing a user that I had never selected as a site administrator show up in the site admin column

Was this user greyed-out in the role editing page, so that you couldn't remove them?

Thanks for your input.