Moodle 3.3 How Do I Edit The Breadcrumb Trail - not a programmer!

Moodle 3.3 How Do I Edit The Breadcrumb Trail - not a programmer!

by barbara nance -
Number of replies: 9

Hi

I have looked at the various forums about reducing the crumb trail. I am not a programmer, but can copy CSS code into a theme, so hoping this is something that can be done using CSS at theme level. I am on Moodle 3.3 and Adaptable 1.5.

Currently when student select their course from the menu bar; They then can see :

Courses>The name of the category>Course name. (and some time the sub category as well).

How can i reduce what they see just to the course? As they have not visited the other pages to get to their courses.

I hope some-one can help.

Cheers

Barbara

Average of ratings: -
In reply to barbara nance

Re: Moodle 3.3 How Do I Edit The Breadcrumb Trail - not a programmer!

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

A theme can change the way the breadcrumb is outputted but in this case would be a PHP thing.  Post better suited to the 'Themes' forum.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks Gareth, just moving the discussion from the General developer forum to the Themes forum...

In reply to Helen Foster

by barbara nance -

Many thanks

Hope someone can help, if it's php changes will pass on it the IT Gurus.

Regards

Barbara

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I actually had done this on one site but I see it isn't like that any more which means it was a php change, not css as it got wiped out by an upgrade.  I am pretty sure there is no way to accomplish with simple css - you need to change the php.

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Barbara,

The renderers for the navbar breadcrumbs can be found HERE which is part of moodle/lib/outputrenderers.php

Also since you are using Adaptable, may be easier if you ask The Adaptable Team for help with this, perhaps requeat this as an option because it is one of those things that Moodlers have requested in the past.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by barbara nance -

Hi Mary and Emma

Many thanks indeed for your ideas.

I did query on the Adaptable Theme but will try again via the Adaptable team.

MAny thanks again

Barbara

by Fernando Acedo -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Adaptable use the default moodle breadcrumb function and only modify the style.

The change you want needs a new moodle renderer which is really needed because the existing is really bad because most of the times is totally useless.

So you need to create a issue in the Moodle Tracker to request a new breadcrumb that really show the path with links.

In reply to Fernando Acedo

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You don't need a Moodle Tracker request!  You just need to override the 'navbar()' method like Essential does: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/blob/master/classes/output/core_renderer.php#L96-L132 - and just output the last item.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by barbara nance -

Hi Guys

Many thanks indeed. Something to pass onto the IT guru's as it's outside my level of competence! I need to do a course at some stage on the deep stuff!

Again many tks.

Barbara