Synchronising Calendar with Outlook

Synchronising Calendar with Outlook

by Bob Ridge-Stearn -
Number of replies: 2

Moodle 3.3   Outlook 2010

I am trying to sync a Modole calendar with Outlook.  The Moodle guidance on this matter refers to Outlook 2007 but I would think it is the same with Outlook 2010.  It says:

Dynamic Link to Moodle Calendar

In Moodle, after pressing the "Export calendar" button at the bottom of the calendar page, select the events and time frames you wish. The "Get URL address" button will create a URL address.

In Google Calendar's "Other calendars" menu, choose "Add by URL" and supply the URL generated in the process described above. This version of the Google calendar will update whenever changes are made in the source Moodle calendar (including new, changed or deleted events), although it may take several hours for the changes to appear.

Note that this may be more or less useful. The calendar will be relative to the Moodle user. That is, if the user who generates the URL is enrolled in several courses, it is this information that will appear in the calendar. There is no way (at this time) to generate a URL that only applies to one course.

https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/Using_Calendar#Subscribing_to_a_calendar_in_Outlook_2007

When I do this it does import the calendar OK but there are no events on it.

(I do have "Enable calendar export" turned on at system level)

Any ideas?

Thanks

Bob Ridge-Stearn
Newman University, UK

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Bob Ridge-Stearn

Re: Synchronising Calendar with Outlook

by Sébastien Petit -

paste the calendar url provided by moodle directly into your browser's address bar to download an ics file. Click to import it into outlook and it should work. If it does, you may be experimenting the same issue as I am (file import works, but not from URL):

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=353298

In reply to Sébastien Petit

Re: Synchronising Calendar with Outlook

by Bob Ridge-Stearn -

Hi Sébastien,

My understanding was that the way of working you describe imports a snapshot of the calendar and not a permanent sync to it.  I want the live Moodle calendar to appear in Outlook.  The way I described (which is the way the Moodle documentation says to do it) always gets an error saying there are no appointments in the Moodle calendar. It does import it into Outlook but without any appointments in it.

Thanks
Bob

Average of ratings: Useful (1)