Delayed email alert after posting to a discussion forum

Delayed email alert after posting to a discussion forum

by Damon So -
Number of replies: 3

We are using Moodle 3.3.

After posting to a topic to a discussion forum with the instruction to send out the email alert to the subscribed users immediately, the email alert arrived 48 minutes later, which is much too late.

I posted another topic to the discussion forum with NO instruction for immediate email alert. In this case, the email alert arrived 80 minutes later, which is much later than the supposed 30 minutes.

These two problems have occurred more than once. 

I wonder if we need to set some correct parameters on our Moodle system to rectify these two delay problems. We have a dedicated server running Moodle and it should be free to send out email alerts at any time, so the problems are not to do with a slow server.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Damon So

Re: Delayed email alert after posting to a discussion forum

by Damon So -

I have received no reply to this post. I am not sure if it was sent out at all. Hence, I am using the Reply feature, trying to get it sent out to the community of users/advisers. Your help will be much appreciated.

In reply to Damon So

by Christoph Ruda -

Hi Damon,

The sending of form notifications is controlled by cron, the script that triggers background functions within Moodle at regular intervals.

https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/Cron

Although the tick box is labelled 'immediately' the notifications will be sent the next time cron runs. If cron is set to run every half hour it will take up to 30 minutes for the emails to be sent. If 'immediately' isn't ticked the notifications task has a lower priority and can therefore be delayed for more than one cron cycle.

On our server we have configured cron to run every 5 minutes.

I hope this helps you solving your issue.

Christoph

In reply to Damon So

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

My guess is that your cron script is configured to run infrequently. The recommendation is that it runs every minute which would pretty much solve your problem.