Plagiarism checker for code

Plagiarism checker for code

by Thys Murray -
Number of replies: 1

Dear all

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, but please move as necessary.

Our university recently renewed its plagiarism policy which now determines that all large student assignments / projects need to be checked by a plagiarism detector. We have been using Turnitin for years now for standard paper essays, so that works fine.

However, computer science lecturers have requested a similar system for software coding. They have used the Moss system (https://theory.stanford.edu/~aiken/moss/) for a while, but we have been unable to integrate it into our installation of Moodle (3.1, will upgrade to 3.3 soon), so all checks have been manual uploads.

Does anyone know of a system, similar to Turnitin, that integrates to the same level with Moodle, that can check the similarity of code?

All the best

Thys

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Thys Murray

Re: Plagiarism checker for code

by Mira B -

Hello Thys,

You are in the right place. As it says, nothing is irreplaceable; and there are always be an alternative which you can give it a try.

If to talk about the specific plagiarism tool you’re looking for,  I cannot but say a few words about the one (and it’s not because my teammates developed it). Unicheck is a really good too that has a mission and brings academic value for those who seek for it. And, what’s more important, it’s easy in use. You can drag & drop files, upload them from cloud service, or copy & paste right into the search box.  

A bit more about file formats:

•        Adobe (.pdf);

•        Apple Pages (.pages);

•        Google Docs from Google Drive;

•        HyperText Markup Language (.html);

•        Microsoft Excel (.xls and .xlsx); ROADMAP Q3 2017!

•        Microsoft PowerPoint (.pptx and.ppt);

•        Microsoft Word (.doc and .docx);

•        OpenOffice Text (.odt);

•        Plain text (.txt);

•        Rich text (.rtf);

•        ZIP archive (.zip).

Unicheck is able check HTML too. Frankly speaking, I’d love to know more about the necessity of other programming languages identification. Is this need so high? I mean could you specify what is your ideal plagiarism detection tool? It’ll help my teammates to sense your need and make essential updates happen.

Let’s discuss more, I’m always ready to talk, please drop me a word at victoria@unicheck.com

Cheers,

Victoria

Academic Integrity Advisor at Unicheck 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)