Boost requires too many clicks for every action

Re: Boost requires too many clicks for every action

by Chris Kenniburg -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Your concerns are one of the main reasons we built Fordson and made the changes we did.  Our theme is not just for color and style.  Above all else, we listen to teacher feedback and look for ways to make the Moodle experience more intuitive for our users. 

In reply to Chris Kenniburg

by stefan weber -
Picture of Plugin developers

sounds great, im going to look at Fordson on our test server

Unfortunately, any change in themes gives me lots of complaints from my users... so unless I can make it look 99.5% like our current Boost theme, I'm going to have to wait for the next change, since we only changed to Moodle 3 and Boost recently...

In reply to stefan weber

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Fordson stays true to the layout of Boost.  We love the new two columns.  However, we've looked at some of the concerns you've raised and attempted to fix them based off suggestions and thoughtful consideration.  The teacher dashboard panel in courses really helps organize all the links previously found in Course admin block and puts these links in a logical order and easy to find location.

In reply to Chris Kenniburg

by Mihir J -
This thread is posted at the right time. I think it should be addressed as soon as possible.

From my experience of building various plugins , in boost based theme is that, providing easy menu to tutors and students have completely taken a backseat.

1) Earlier for easy navigation we used to show lot of things under "Nagivation" block, "Course Administration" block and so on. I understand Navigation block is still there is not good way to place it in various pages because of the layout structure

2) In course administration block - i guess there is some limit and after that it shows "More...menus.." which when we clicked it takes to a new page. This entirely creates a new path, like going to new page, doing something, again go to breadcrumb to come back to course page and so on

3) I am a big fan of fordson, but the thing is everytime incorporating new menus for newly built feature is quite problematic

4) The left nav drawer, - lacking of collapsible menus/submenus like multi-level menus is a big miss.

Hope i was able to put some issues that are reported by our many teachers and administrators

thanks!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mihir J

by stefan weber -

I absolutely agree - the lack of collapsible menus or submenus in the left nav drawer is another big minus in Boost for me.

I like the new course overview in 3.3, but at the same time, Id love to have at least the option to sort courses by categories in the left nav drawer's "My courses" section.

In reply to stefan weber

by Janice Button -

Hi we desperately want to "show my categories" in the Nav drawer and are wondering if we can get around this missing functionality with a child theme. Did you ever find anything useful/get a workaround?

Thanks for any help

In reply to Janice Button

by stefan weber -

hi janice,

unfortunately, we did not tackle this problem yet sad