I am working on a new course format that will be built by expanding the collapsed topics format. I am interested in opinions on my design. Does it make sense? Is there a feature that you want added that I am missing?
This course format is based on the 180 day school year that is a requirement in the US public schools. Each topic represents a single physical school day.
1. Add no school days site wide. This may need to be its own plugin.
-- Need a check box on the school calendar to indicate if school is in session; no school; half school day.
2. Indicate weekend days that are site wide. This feature is already in Moodle. I just need to access this information from the plugin.
3. Days the class meets. Not all classes will meet on all school days.
-- Class meets always on the same day every week.
-- Class meets on a rotation. Class - class- class -class - no class - class - class - class - class - no class. (the class meets 4 days a week, but not on the same days each week).
4. A teachers different sessions of the same class. So the activities and tests are the same between classes, but physical days that the course meets are different.
Length of the course, and start and end dates.
1. The course can be a year long course (180 days), Semester course (90 days), trimester course (60 days), or a quarter course (45 days).
2. Start and end date of the course. This is already in Moodle.
With the above two pieces of information, a list is created of the days that the course meets.
1. In teach topic, the "summary/description" of the topic is modified to add the date in small text, italics, and displayed even when the topic is closed. That way each topic has a corresponding physical date with each topic.
2. If a course is imported (or copied from a template course), the topic headings, activities, etc. will be copied, but the topic description will be updated based on the current calendar and class meeting times in the current class.
3. Button to readjust the topic descriptions if the calendar changes mid-year. For example, there were more snow days than the calendar accounted for, so the dates need to be adjusted according to the new calendar without changing things in the past. This needs to take into account that the adjustment will happen after physical dates have passed.
Auto add labels to all topics
1. Have the ability to add a template outline. From this template outline, individual labels will be created in each topic.
Maybe even allow regular expressions with variables to add the labels.
Other plugin options, but may need to be separate plugins.
1. Add the abiity to add activities in bulk. Create 50 assignments for studying spelling list with the label "Spelling list #", and auto place every 5 lessons.
Any questions, comments, criticisms, or compliments are appreciated.