Subscribing to a forum

Subscribing to a forum

by Damon So -
Number of replies: 3

I am using Moodle 3.3.

Student X is employed as a user for testing our Moodle site.

Student X failed to subscribe to a discussion forum (Announcements) in Moodle even though he is a member of the course (called Literature Review). This user name is clearly listed in the list of enrolled users/participants of that course.

When he tried to subscribe to that forum, he got this message:      

Sorry, but you must be a group member to subscribe.

There is a problem here. Can you help?

Also, as the course creator of the course Literature Review, I posted a discussion topic to the Announcements forum but I received no email alert for that post. Is it because course creator is not subscribed to a forum of the course he created? I have checked I have switched on my email notification (under User account, Forum Preferences) and have been receiving email alerts for other forums.

Finally, I cannot find myself in the list of participants. Is it because I am the course creator?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Damon So

Re: Subscribing to a forum

by Damon So -

I tried adding myself as a user to the course I created. Moodle allowed me to do it successfully. 

And now, I can see that I am subscribed to the forum. Before, I was not. 

It seems that as a course creator of the course, I still need to add myself as a user/participant in order to be subscribed to the forums. But that is quite odd to me. Or have I been mistaken?

The first part of my last post is still not resolved.

In reply to Damon So

by Paula Clough -

Hello,

I believe that is because a course creator may not acutually teach or participate in a course. I have done that several times where I created much of the course then the individual teachers take over and teach and modify as necessary. I wouldn't want to get the forum emails from the courses I was not participating in. 

cool

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Damon So

by Derek Chirnside -
Damon, you say:
When he tried to subscribe to that forum, he got this message:      
Sorry, but you must be a group member to subscribe.
There is a problem here. Can you help?

This probably means you have groups mode ON in the Forum settings.

-Derek