Help for a fix: Unable to manually edit students due to "authentication plugin radius not found"

Help for a fix: Unable to manually edit students due to "authentication plugin radius not found"

per Ted Long -
Nombre de respostes: 5

Hi everyone

I've been experiencing some issues for a while, where having previously upgraded Moodle to 3.2.3 I am now no longer able to manually edit students.  Occassionally, I have a need to manually edit students because the password automatic reset won't work (more on that on another post!).

When I try to access a users account like the attached image.

But I am then faced with the following error:

"Authentication plugin radius not found."

Can somoeone please advise me as to the best way to rectify this?  

Many thanks

Eddie

Fitxer adjunt 2017-08-16_08-09-24.png
Mitjana de qualificacions: -
En resposta a Ted Long

Re: Help for a fix: Unable to manually edit students due to "authentication plugin radius not found"

per John Okely -

Radius has been removed from core. https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-55927

If you are using the plugin you will need to download it from https://github.com/moodlehq/moodle-auth_radius

If you don't use radius anymore, download and install the plugin, then go to Site administration > Users > Accounts > Browse list of users and select show more under the filter and filter on authentication method.

You can now edit the users and change them to manual. Then you can safely uninstall the plugin again.

En resposta a John Okely

Re: Help for a fix: Unable to manually edit students due to "authentication plugin radius not found"

per Ted Long -

Hi John

Many thanks for your response, I really appreciate it. 

I don't actually know which users are using radius and which aren't (presumably any new users will be using the latest and previous will be using radius?).  I guess I can check that as you have suggested. 

Presumably, as it's no longer in core, I should seek to no longer use radius? If I change users from radius to manual as you have suggested, will I need to reset their passwords etc?

Also, are there any drawbacks in changing over? I guess that manual within Moodle is better than Radius hence why it was removed in the first place?

Many thanks for your help

En resposta a Ted Long

per John Okely -

It's not that radius is better or worse than manual auth, it's just a different way of managing authentication. Generally it's used for authenticating moodle using the user accounts on another server. Often LDAP can be used instead.

By changing it to manual, the users will only be authenticated against moodle. Changes to whatever server RADIUS was set up for will no longer take effect.

If you are not aware of what RADIUS is chances are it is no longer in use but some users are still on it. You may want to investigate into why RADIUS was used previously.

En resposta a John Okely

per Ted Long -

Hi John

Many thanks for your reply.

I'm keen to resolve the error I'm receiving, so I guess to that end it makes sense to change those using Radius to manual authentication (as we now operate on our own dedicated server).  

If I am to change users from Radius to manual, will I need to reset their passwords, inform them etc?  Presumably it won't convert their credentials over from Radius to manual for me?

If I am to do so, would I still follow your instructions as per your original message (i.e. install Radius plug in, etc).

Kind regards

Eddie

En resposta a John Okely

per Giacomo Nalli -

Dear John,

I'm Giacomo and I'm trying to configure RADIUS Auth for Moodle.

I install the plugin, and now i try to install the extensions like explained on this link: https://docs.moodle.org/32/en/RADIUS_authentication

Because of php5-auth-pam is deprecated, how I can install this module to permit Radius to work in Moodle?