General help

Google Drive Repository and Moodle 3.3.1

Picture of Jason Touw
Re: Google Drive Repository and Moodle 3.3.1

Sam - I was a little confused about Google's instructions for verification when I attempted this.  Which path are you using to become verified?  Thanks for sharing.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Bob Bell

I've just completed the verification process for our school district. I completed the verification form to the best of my ability and, after a few days, Google got back to me asking for more information or corrections. The first return email I received was probably a form email/auto response to make sure the important steps had been completed.

1. Your OAuth Consent Screen is created.

2. Your authorized redirect URI or origin URL is linked to the OAuth web client.

3. Your app's Privacy policy meets the following requirements.

• The Privacy policy must be linked to the OAuth consent screen on Google Cloud Console  and visible to users.

• The Privacy Policy must disclose the manner in which your application accesses, uses, stores, or shares Google user data. Your use of Google user data must be limited to the practices explicitly disclosed in your published privacy policy.

4. Each scope that you’re requesting in the form must have an explanation for its use/need for the project.

Of particular note here was numbers 2 and 4. For number 2, your Authorized redirect URIs should include something like:

For the scopes I used the scopes Damyon Wiese posted above but the reasons I gave for needing them were apparently not good enough prompting another round of emails. I replied with:

profile - To view basic profile info

email - To view email address

openid - To authenticate using OpenID

https://www.googleapis.com/auth/drive - To upload, download, update, and delete files in Google Drive. To create, access, update, and delete native Google documents in Google Drive. To manage files and documents in your Google Drive (e.g., search, organize, and modify permissions and other metadata, such as title)

That seemed to work for them. When originally filling in the OAuth Consent Screen I had also verified our domain. This was also apparently not enough and the next email from Google wanted me to verify the site itself. It was a matter of downloading an HTML file, dropping it in the root web folder and clicking a "Verify" button. I did have to enable the Google Search Console for an OU that didn't include any students in Google Apps for Education as this is apparently OFF by default.

After replying to Google that the site verification was a success we were approved the next day and the warning screen is no longing showing for students and staff.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Picture of Kees Koopman

Do you have an example "The Privacy Policy must disclose the manner in which your application accesses, uses, stores, or shares Google user data. Your use of Google user data must be limited to the practices explicitly disclosed in your published privacy policy."

Thanks

Picture of Bob Bell

We just added some fairly generic language to our existing policy:

Integrated Services: You may be given the option to access or register for the Service through the use of your user name and passwords for certain services provided by third parties (each, an “Integrated Service”), such as through the use of your Google account, or otherwise have the option to authorize an Integrated Service to provide Personal Data or other information to us. By authorizing us to connect with an Integrated Service, you authorize us to access and store your name, email address(es), and basic profile information that the Integrated Service makes available to us, and to use and disclose it in accordance with this Policy. You should check your privacy settings on each Integrated Service to understand what information that Integrated Service makes available to us, and make changes as appropriate. Please review each Integrated Service’s terms of use and privacy policies carefully before using their services and connecting to our Service.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Jason Touw

Thanks Bob for sharing.  I just completed the OAuth verification as well and I'll let everyone on the forum know how it goes.  It was a slightly tedious process completing the steps, as you so hinted.

Picture of Jason Touw

I received this email from Google today:

Dear Developer,

Based on the information for your specific use case, we recommend using the following scope that is necessary to implement your app's feature.

Your app already has access to this scope and does not need to go through verification process. If you don't know how to implement this scope, please reach out to Drive Support. For more information about Drive scopes, please read "What scope or scopes does my app need".

However, if this recommended scope doesn't meet the needs of your app's feature, please reply to this email directly with the Drive scopes required for your app's feature. Please refer this FAQ to ensure your verification request is complete.

Has anyone else received this notification?

Anyone know what to do from here to get the OAuth to work properly?

Thanks!

Picture of Bob Bell

That was the exact email I received when I said what I'd originally used for my explanation of what scopes were needed and why wasn't good enough.

Picture of Kees Koopman

Hi Jason,

I get this e-mail too smile.

Ask them again and write that Moodle says it needs the following scope.

I hope its works.

Sincerely,

Kees.

https://www.googleapis.com/auth/drive - To uploaddownload, update, and delete files in Google Drive. To create, access, update, and delete native Google documents in Google Drive. To manage files and documents in your Google Drive (e.g., search, organize, and modify permissions and other metadata, such as title)