We have a course that has the General topic hidden. We don't see a way to unhide it. Do you have any idea how to unhide the General topic in Moodle 3.3?
Sorry if this is obvious, but have you checked whether there is any access restriction set?
Otherwise, there is no way from the user interface to hide the general topic, so I would guess that some data in the Moodle database is corrupted. Probably the easiest would be to create a new course and import the activities from your original course.
Thanks for your response. When editing the General topic and looking at Restrict Access, Access restrictions is set to none. Is that the only place I need to look?
That is a good question. I'll ask the teacher and try to look at the topic to see if I see anything. Thanks.
I'm having this issue too. I have tried multiple courses and none of them have the show / hide in section 0. Have tried all themes and course formats on our site! No restrictions set or HTML in section 0.
I just cannot get to show topic 0 where it has already been hidden (prior to upgrade to 3.3) (or hide any that are currently showing).
I'm having the same issue. I've moved all the resources out of the section and deleted all the content. I've changed from weekly format to topics and back again. I've changed themes. Nothing works.
If I put content into the section, it displays normally for students.
For the teacher, it is still flagged "Hidden from Students"
Resources / Activities in this section are flagged "Available but not on course page" for both teachers and students.
I've had the same problem after upgrading from 3.1 to 3.3 and eventually found a solution which requires a database mod.
1. Identify your course id
2. Search for the course id in the mdl_course_sections table
3. Change the 'visible' field from '0' to '1' in the Section 0 record
4. Go back to your course and hide Section 1 using the drop-down edit (note this really is Section 1)
5. Unhide Section 1 using the drop-down edit (note this really is Section 1)
6. Refresh the page
I didn't want to purge all caches and so steps 4 and 5 were necessary to force the relevant refreshing
Although I tested on our dev server, I didn't have access to the db on the production site so I installed the 'Moodle Adminer' plugin which allows access to the db from the Moodle admin menu
Hope this does it for you.
Thanks Clive this was interesting problem I have faced as a brand new admin to moodle - using v3.4 interestingly changing the 1-3 worked fine but 4-5 still didn't give me the option to hide or unhide so purging the cache was the only options.
None the less thank you for being helpful!
I recently came across a tracker issue covering this problem - MDL-60241. Anyone please comment on the issue if you have any further information which may help developers, and please vote for it to indicate you'd like it fixed.
Its Work!... Thanks...