General Topic Hidden

General Topic Hidden

by Robert Wilson -
Number of replies: 14

We have a course that has the General topic hidden. We don't see a way to unhide it. Do you have any idea how to unhide the General topic in Moodle 3.3?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Wilson

Re: General Topic Hidden

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Robert,

Sorry if this is obvious, but have you checked whether there is any access restriction set?

Otherwise, there is no way from the user interface to hide the general topic, so I would guess that some data in the Moodle database is corrupted. Probably the easiest would be to create a new course and import the activities from your original course.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Robert Wilson -

Helen,

Thanks for your response. When editing the General topic and looking at Restrict Access, Access restrictions is set to none. Is that the only place I need to look?

Thanks,

Robert

In reply to Helen Foster

by Robert Wilson -
We've created a new course and imported the activities and the issue remains. Looking at the table mdl_course_sections shows section 0, which I think is the main topic for the course with the field visible set to 0. I tried setting that to 1, but it made no difference. I've created a test moodle server to mess with this issue.

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Robert,

It sounds like you've tried everything that I suggested. Sorry I don't have any more ideas.

I'm just going to move this discussion to the General help forum to see if anyone there has any suggestions.

by Paula Clough -
Have you added any custom HTML to the topic area in a label  or copied text out of Word?  Sometimes in older versions I have gotten some stray code that did all kinds of interesting things including hiding a topic area. 

cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Robert Wilson -

That is a good question. I'll ask the teacher and try to look at the topic to see if I see anything. Thanks.

by Rebecca Barrington -

I'm having this issue too.  I have tried multiple courses and none of them have the show / hide in section 0. Have tried all themes and course formats on our site!   No restrictions set or HTML in section 0.

I just cannot get to show topic 0 where it has already been hidden (prior to upgrade to 3.3) (or hide any that are currently showing).

In reply to Rebecca Barrington

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Rebecca,

Did you try out what Paula mentioned above? Could you post a screenshot of section 0 when edit mode is turned on?

With kind regards,

Hartmut

In reply to Hartmut Scherer

by dig dug -

I'm having the same issue. I've moved all the resources out of the section and deleted all the content. I've changed from weekly format to topics and back again. I've changed themes. Nothing works.

Hidden-General

In reply to dig dug

by dig dug -

If I put content into the section, it displays normally for students.

For the teacher, it is still flagged "Hidden from Students"

Resources / Activities in this section are flagged "Available but not on course page" for both teachers and students.

In reply to dig dug

by Clive Thomas -

I've had the same problem after upgrading from 3.1 to 3.3 and eventually found a solution which requires a database mod.

1. Identify your course id

2. Search for the course id in the mdl_course_sections table

3. Change the 'visible' field from '0' to '1' in the Section 0 record

4. Go back to your course and hide Section 1 using the drop-down edit (note this really is Section 1)

5. Unhide Section 1 using the drop-down edit (note this really is Section 1)

6. Refresh the page

I didn't want to purge all caches and so steps 4 and 5 were necessary to force the relevant refreshing

Although I tested on our dev server, I didn't have access to the db on the production site so I installed the 'Moodle Adminer' plugin which allows access to the db from the Moodle admin menu

Hope this does it for you.

Average of ratings: Useful (5)
In reply to Clive Thomas

by Joshua Hagan -

Thanks Clive this was interesting problem I have faced as a brand new admin to moodle - using v3.4 interestingly changing the 1-3 worked fine but 4-5 still didn't give me the option to hide or unhide so purging the cache was the only options.

None the less thank you for being helpful!

In reply to Joshua Hagan

by Helen Foster -

I recently came across a tracker issue covering this problem - MDL-60241. Anyone please comment on the issue if you have any further information which may help developers, and please vote for it to indicate you'd like it fixed.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)