The cron is set to run every minute, and I've confirmed it's running correctly. The recording was approx. 5 seconds long, so nothing strenuous at all.
I've tried both the Virginia and Tokyo cloud servers (I'm in the U.S.), but neither seems to improve the turnaround.
By the way, is there an error log anywhere of Poodll's attempts to return the files? Maybe there's an error in the return URL I can look into that's maybe causing the insertion to fail? I ask that because we did have a similar broken-URL issue with one of our LTI tools.
Thanks for any info you can provide!
There was a problem with the notifications code, from the version I put out last week. I uploaded a Poodll filter version with a fix this afternoon. I hope that was the source of the problem that you have been having. If its all set up nicely you usually get your recording back within 15 seconds.
There are other factors that come into play too. The main one being the player that you are using to playback the recordings. If you can use a Poodll player it should do the refresh check, every 15 seconds(no coincidence). But non Poodll players won't ajax refresh, and can cache the placeholder audio/video file.
Try first on https://demo.poodll.com because that should give you a baseline for how your site should be running. Then try to match that behaviour on your site.
More info is available at Poodll.com. This document might help some:
Thanks for the response, Justin. I'll check out the new version. By the way, we're just using the default Poodll player.