Cannot get score passed to Moodle

Cannot get score passed to Moodle

by Tim Davis -
Number of replies: 4

I have a SCORM file that has been passed on to us by a client to be part of a course on our Moodle site.

The file runs just fine and the quiz at the end completes just fine.

However, I simply cannot get the right combinations of settings to get the SCORM package to pass the mark to Moodle - or Moodle to receive the mark from the SCORM package.

I also end up in an endless loop of restarting the presentation where I left off. However, when I delete previous attempts I escape that loop but the mark is not passed on on the retry.

I've been reading forums and Google for hours and tried many different settings combinations with no success. I think I have reached the limit of what I know to try and have entered boldly into territory where I don't know what I don't know.

Does any of the above ring a bell to anyone who can point me in or talk me through a direction?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Davis

Re: Cannot get score passed to Moodle

by Tim Davis -

I should have also mentioned that the site is running Moodle 3.3.1

Tim

In reply to Tim Davis

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

What did they use to build the SCORM?  Can you access information in the source file about what variables it uses and how it uses them?  I use Lectora and (of course) Moodle...but I collaborate with a few people who use different LMS...when we share source files, we each have to check completion status options to make sure they report properly...We almost always use AICC_Lesson_Status in Lectora to indicate completion...mine has to be set to "completed" (all lower case) while one of my collegues has to set it to "complete" and yet another has to use "Completed"--it might be as simple as that.

In the Moodle SCORM activity settings for attempts management I usually use unlimited attempts (though...sometimes that's not a great plan), I don't force a new attempt (though if you don't like doing the start where I left off bit, you might want to do that...I just don't like making people start over if they didn't finish in one sitting) and I don't lock it. 

Compatibility settings all get set to NO (but I'm rethinking this). 

In Activity Completion, I set it to complete when conditions are met and I set a required passing score (all of my modules give 100 upon completion, regardless of grade--you must receive specific scores or complete everything to get the 100, the requirement is 100) and I leave the status alone--sometimes my modules report weird, the same module for two people will say passed for one and completed for the other, so one gets credit and the other doesn't, which I don't want, so I just go with the grade only.

There used to be a couple settings that if set nothing worked right (or the way I wanted it to)...but now that I'm looking, I don't see them...must have been 1.9 (the dark ages).

And now the short answer--grade reporting is a tricky balance of Moodle settings and SCORM settings and they have to work together.

In reply to Melanie Scott

by Tim Davis -

Hi Melanie,

Your reply is so helpful (and hopeful) to get me unstuck and move along in this.

Judging from the meta.xml file in the package the Scorm was built with:
<application name="Articulate Storyline" version="2.11.1609.3020" xmlversion="3.5" />

I’ve tried the settings you described with no success.

In regard to AICC_Lesson_Status and completed/complete/Completed, is this something I can edit in the files within the zip file our client sent us? If so, which file would that be in?

Also, just in case it helps, I have attached the log from my most recent attempt (which again never closed tough I got 100%)

Thanks to your questions, I know what to ask of the client from whom we got the Scorm package and will also be inquiring with them.

Tim
In reply to Tim Davis

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Last question first...no, if you don't have the original source and only have the published zip files, I don't think you can successfully edit it in the files.  Each page in the zip represents a page in the module plus a course index and several other bits that make it work.  In theory, you could find the page that submits the variable and replace it but I wouldn't want to try that. 

As for the first...I don't use Articulate but I understand the settings in it are different than those in the authoring software I use.  I know there are several forums on here that talk about storyline--you might check them and the Articulate community is really terrific, very supportive and easy to use.