How to install moodle in window pc

Re: How to install moodle in window pc

by Rick Jerz -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Mac or PC?

I tend to use my MAMP install of Moodle, on my Mac, as my local sandbox.  MoodleCloud is a good choice, but one cannot install many of the Moodle plugins on MoodleCloud as you can on a sandbox moodle.

If you have a PC, explore the Moodle Installer package for Windows.

Both the Mac and PC installers can be found on the Moodle Download webpage.

As you might be detecting, these local machine installs do not work well as a production environment for real students.  MoodleCloud does work well for real students, up to 50 for free.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Csaba Gloner -

I have been using MAMP for testing Moodle sites locally for a while on my Windows machine. I had a good experience as I could easily switch between php versions, etc. so even though I was not very familiar with server settings, I could install several different versions.

But now I have a problem with the newest versions from 3.1, as during the installation there are several checks that prevent the installation. I have looked up the solutuions for them and I could solve some of them but could not do it for the following two:

Is there an easy solution as I do only application testing and

- I don't have enough experience to run php scripts, etc.

- As some testings are time sensitive, it would be good if I could just install the sites without any messing around the same way as I can still do with versions up to 3.0 .

I have installed the latest MAMP version as I assumed that the developrs of MAMP would solve this but no luck.

Has someone a good idea or is someone using a different software that works similar and can deal with the newest Moodle versions?

Thanks
Csaba

In reply to Csaba Gloner

by Rick Jerz -

MAMP is typically the "Macintosh" product.  You say that you are running this on your PC.  Are you sure?

The error messages suggest to me that you do not have the right collation on you moodle database.  This should be utf8mb4.unicode_ci.  Others here might have some other suggestions.

It might help if you let us know exactly where you got your copy of MAMP, for example moodle.org download webpage.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Csaba Gloner -

Thanks for your answer.

I have downloaded MAMP here https://www.mamp.info/en/ and using it on a PC with Windows 10.

Csaba

In reply to Csaba Gloner

by Rick Jerz -

Consider going to the Moodle.org site and downloading it from there.  I did this about a month ago and it worked.  I think that the version on Moodle.org always comes with Moodle installed and ready to use.

Attachment Download for PC.jpg