Simple Calculated Question Type

Re: Simple Calculated Question Type

by Doug Martin -
Number of replies: 1

Hi Sue, 

I have written a number of calculated questions where each student gets different values and each attempt will give different values as well.  I would love to collaborate and find ways we can help each other with questions for Chemistry.

In reply to Doug Martin

Re: Simple Calculated Question Type

by Roald Santens -

Hello Doug and Sue,

I'm also working on different types of conversion excersises in the field of chemistry. My collegue and I have first set up very specific categories:

1. calculation molar concentration from solids
    1. calculation from grams weighed to molar concentration (in a certain volume)
    2. calculation from molar concentration to grams to be weighed (for a certain volume)
    3. calculation from molar concentration to volume needed (for grams weighed)
Then we made a sample question for each category, starting from the molecule (e.g. NaOH) and the molecular weight (40 g/mol). The name of the question is simply 'NaOH', everything is provided in the categorie.

The formula we use (for 1.2) is [concentration]*[volume]*MW. The only non-variable is the MW, both [grams] and [volume] are variables.

And then we copy this question, change the molecule (to NaCl), the title and the MW respectively.

This way, we have a simple method to generate a lot of variations with a lot of molecules.

You can find an example as attachment.

Roald

Average of ratings: Useful (1)