Moodle 3.1 themes that Teacher Users can customize

Moodle 3.1 themes that Teacher Users can customize

by Lisa Carothers -
Number of replies: 12

Hello,

While Moodle has so many features, teachers in my district continually ask about ways they can personalize the look of their Moodle courses. We currently allow teachers to change the themes of their courses, but that still gives only about 10 fixed options. 

I think all they want is to have more control over the color scheme and background. Perhaps add a picture as a background. Like they can do in Google Classroom, which has a LONG way to go to be an LMS, but teachers gravitate to it because of simple customizations like that.

So...I am wondering if there are any themes out there like Essential, which allows the teacher to pick four different additional color schemes. Or is there there a theme that allows a teacher user to add a picture to the background or to modify the header of footer for just his/her course? 

I'm also asking because I think our district may soon prohibit teachers from choosing different course themes (something about being easier to maintain Moodle if we're running fewer themes), so if it comes to that, it'd be nice to provide a theme that allows them some creative control.

Thanks for any ideas you have.

Lisa

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lisa Carothers

Re: Moodle 3.1 themes that Teacher Users can customize

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The idea of having a Teacher oriented set of styles has perhaps not been talked about much, but it is pretty easy to add a set of colors that can be chosen by the teacher or the student for that matter.

Perhaps this is the time to request it as it would need to be a Moodle CORE addition I suspect.

Who knows ... just talking about it here may trigger an idea in a Moodle developers mind and get things rolling!

How wonderful for all of us that would be.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Just wondering whether a 'stop-gap' solution might be to upload a css file into the course summary files upload (you can set what file types are allowed, it doesn't only have to be images). Themes that already use that for course header images - that can already be done, and is in several themes, Lisa - could detect the file extension to see if its an image or a css file and treat it accordingly.

hmmm - will think about this while I'm on holiday in a few weeks and away from work smile

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

There are a few themes that use the course summary file (which teachers can upload) as a header or background image.  Fordson, for example.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

That has been the case, in any Moodle theme as far as I can recall, however not everone was party to that fact as it was not well documented.

As far as I can recall Richard was one of the first to write a renderer that used the Summary image and made it a header background. Marina Glancy actually made it easier to do this and was surprised that themes did not use that idea more often than they did.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Derek Chirnside -

I'm with Emma here: Fordson does this in the course settings, but possibly not to the extent you may need.  Drag an image onto course files and it appears in two places

• in the course listing tiles.  This is cool.
  • At the top of the course home page, but not as you expect.  It is partly masked by the header.  This is a feature, not a bug, as it give better screen space.  But it is a really nice option if you choose the image well.

I would be surprised if Adaptable doesn't have this.  https://moodle.org/plugins/theme_adaptable  They say "Background image uploader" but unsure it is is at a course level or site level.

It is a HUGE feature of Snap https://moodle.org/plugins/theme_snap I quote:

"Every course in Snap let's teachers add a cover image to give it a unique personality"

but they update their theme only about one version behind where Moodle is up to and this could be a show stopper.

Final comment: having used G Classroom with real students this term, I now think this is a great functionality for classes to have quick and easy ability to change images, post images of class activities.  Creates a real buzz.  But I want it to be gone when I'm displaying content.  I begrudge every pixel at the top that forces scrolling when I want students to be engaging in content and heavy duty thinking.

-Derek

by Lisa Carothers -

Thanks to all for your thoughts and suggestions. Admittedly, some of it was over my head. (Although I'm technical a Moodle admin for our district, we have a host provider that takes care of the technical stuff)

BUT I just learned how to use Filezilla so I'm feeling a little dangerous!

I think I will check out Fordson and Snap in our sandbox and see how they work.

Thanks again!

Lisa

by Lisa Carothers -

Looks like Fordson is not available for 3.1, and Snap doesn't seem to work in our sandbox. It uploaded fine. I could see the settings in the admin. But when I tried to select as the theme from the course settings menu, and saved, I got 500 error page and no longer able to view that course. So  I deleted from the sandbox...

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Interesting Lisa,

I've been thinking about what you said for a day or so and whilst perhaps there are not many themes for M3.1 that have lots of options for editing teachers to change the look etc. there is potential.  Moodle theme wise has always given itself to providing change capability to admins only.  Possibly this has been so that a 'corporate style' is maintained.  There is also course formats which allow structure and some the ability to change the look of a course within the 'sections' area of a course page.  It is conceptually possible for a course format to have per course images for the teacher (e.g. Grid format), but that not the whole page.  Only the theme can control that.

So, just like a teacher in a classroom wanting to arrange the desks and put up relevant material on the walls for students to engage in a given subject, so should themes facilitate this.  Perhaps there is a technical solution to this, but at the moment its food for thought.

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Lisa Carothers -

I like your analogy in the last paragraph. That's exactly what it's like. It's not the biggest deal when you teach, but it's nice to have options. 

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Pioneer will work on M3.1 and was inspired by GClassroom with a large area at the top of the screen which allows a teacher to upload a photo and have it displayed in their course.  Fordson is available for Moodle 3.2 and above.  It has many similar features of Pioneer but follows the new Boost layout and design.

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Lisa,
Another way of allowing teachers some control over how a course looks, is to install and use the Generico filter. Some of the template bundle are really handy. For instance, you can personalize the course, content and activities by using the students first name, last name, both together, or user name. You can make a youtube live feed the page background. You can add accordian or tabs to include lots of info in a compact format. You can use toggle or formatted toggles to hide info or videos until the student clicks a button to expand and use them. There are also various countdown timers that make approaching "deadlines" stand out. Generico makes it very easy to add line and pie charts and there is a lot more it can do, too.

A search of the forums for Generico or Generico Showcase will give further examples. One really nice feature is the capability to swap filter templates via "bundles" many of which are already in the Moodle forums as attachments.
In reply to AL Rachels

by Lisa Carothers -

I checked this out in the demo course. Pretty slick. I'll ask our host to vet it.