General help

"Switch Roles" in Express

Picture of Lenore Snowdon
"Switch Roles" in Express

Maybe I've gone temporarily blind, but I don't see where to Switch Roles from Teacher to Student (and vice versa!) on my Express Theme? Can anyone direct me to where I can Switch Roles? 

Thanks! 

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Rahul Rai
Re: "Switch Roles" in Express

HI Lenore

Go to Administration > Site administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles.

Click the edit icon opposite the role you want to edit. For example "student".

On the editing role page, change permissions as required for each capability.

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the "Save changes" button.

https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/Managing_roles

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators
Rahul's response does not relate to the "Switch roles" feature  Lenore is asking about and is not relevant.

Lenore  - I have not heard of the Express theme before so I assume it is a  BLackboard/Moodlerooms theme (judging by your screenshot) Recently with free Moodle  themes (as opposed to the paid for Blackboard/Moodlerooms service) the Switch role to feature has moved to the user menu top right. So just a thought - it might be worth checking there? Look at the documentation Switch roles

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Crissa HS

Hi Lenore,

Your Theme is a Moodlerooms Theme. As an fyi... Express isn't actually the name of the theme but the theme design system Moodlerooms provides. It looks like your theme is actually TopSlide. When I discovered that the link for accessing your messaging preferences (also lost) in 3.1 I contacted them as was told because they have deprecated that design, they would not be updating it to respect core Moodle code changes unless what was lost disabled a critical feature. We were advised to "change our theme" which we can't just do overnight so we thought we had to live without it.

I discovered you can get them back (see image below)  IF your system admin is comfortable opening the code for the actual design templates and making some edits.

Logged in as dropdown menu

I can share what I edited for this quick fix (just email me) but essentially when the user is logged in the top area no longer slides open to reveal some menu options including logout. I replaced that action with the <code>%LOGGEDINAS%</code> menu which is where the switch role to link went (it is only visible when you are inside a course/area where you have the necessary permissions). The slide still works when you are logged out to reveal the login form.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)