Allow students to edit a file without downloading it

Allow students to edit a file without downloading it

by Michael Taylor -
Number of replies: 2

Hello moodle community,

I have a course where I am providing my students a Word document with some text and questions in it.  Currently, I am hosting the file simply as a document under one of the course topics. 

Is there a way to allow the students to open the document, type directly into it, and save it, without having to download it first and then re-upload it, e.g. as an assignment submission?  I am trying to minimize the chance for errors and problems for my class.

Thanks for any help!

Michael

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Taylor

Re: Allow students to edit a file without downloading it

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

How long is this Word document?Does it have to be a Word document? If you use the quiz essay question, you can provide them with a template which they can use to formulate their answer by typing straight into Moodle. Look at the documentation Essay question type

You mention it is a Word document with some questions in it - if it is JUST questions - then why not use a quiz? 

In reply to Michael Taylor

Re: Allow students to edit a file without downloading it

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

This could be more of a Microsoft question, and relevant to how Microsoft implements file sharing.  I can't help you much further because I don't do this myself.  But Microsoft offers OneDrive, but I am not sure if they provide sharing via OneDrive.

I am also not a Google Docs user, but I think with Google Docs one can share a URL (link) to a file and somehow make it sharable.