Moodle Cloud to replace Moodle Hosting

Moodle Cloud to replace Moodle Hosting

Sami Atieh - келді
Number of replies: 2

Hello,

Installing Moodle on a server and hosting it yourself, or even through a partner, is quite a difficult and frustrating task. Even when using a partner there are several issues to deal with, such as lack of tech support and communication issues. 

My question is, what is the ultimate goal of Moodle Cloud?

Is it to essentially to do away with Moodle Hosting?

In the near future, will Moodle Hosting be a thing of the past?

Will Moodle Cloud eventually cost money?

I am all for moving away from Moodle Hosting partners and going directly through Moodle Cloud when it becomes powerful enough. Just wondering if I am on the right track with this assumption.

Thank you

In reply to Sami Atieh

Re: Moodle Cloud to replace Moodle Hosting

Tim Hunt - келді
Core developers қатысушының суреті Documentation writers қатысушының суреті Particularly helpful Moodlers қатысушының суреті Peer reviewers қатысушының суреті Plugin developers қатысушының суреті

I don't work for Moodle HQ, but my guess is the answer is: No.

I think Moodle cloud exists to give a low barrier to entry for people just starting with Moodle, or who want a very small site with minimal support.

Hosting a large Moodle site is still a serious undertaking, so there will continue to be a market where people can buy that from a range of commercial suppliers, especially Moodle partners.

And, the whole point of open source is the flexibility it gives, so there will still be many people who take Moodle, customise it, and host it themselves, to get exactly the solution they want.

In reply to Sami Atieh

Re: Moodle Cloud to replace Moodle Hosting

Chris Reid - келді

Hi Sami,

These are all great questions.  

Tim, while not working for Moodle HQ has answered them very well - Thanks Tim!

The goal of MoodleCloud is to help as many users as possible get started with a Moodle site. It's a service that allows anyone to experience Moodle within minutes and helps users build a Moodle site to a certain level (500 users and 1Gb of file storage).  

As we offer limited support, we feel once you get to that level, you are ready for that next step and Moodle Partners can offer a more tailored solution and provide the necessary support and assistance for hosting a large site.

As Tim mentions, the flexibility of Moodle means you can shape the solution that's right for you and choosing an appropriate hosting option is part of this. So it's likely that Moodle hosting will continue to will come in many shapes and sizes from many providers. 

Thanks

Chris