Teaching with Moodle

Challenge a friend

Picture of Robert Hegestedt
Challenge a friend

Hi,

In looking for a way för a participant of a course go send a challenge to another person in the same course. Is this possible in Moodle? An example could be: I finished this quiz in 42 seconds, can you make it faster?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Richard Oelmann
Re: Challenge a friend
Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers

Presumably you are looking for some kind of semi-automated gamification route, rather than simply allowing them to make use of the inbuilt messaging to send such a message anyway...

That is correct!

Picture of Helen Foster
Group Core developersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup TestersGroup Translators

How about using the Activity results block?

Picture of S. kavita
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Robert,

Try Level up block, here is the link : https://moodle.org/plugins/block_xp

Hi, thanks for your tips but it's not quite what I'm looking for. I want the participants to be able to send a challenge rather then top score.

Picture of Melissa .

There is a plugin that allows students to create quiz questions.  Maybe assign the students to each create a quiz question, and then the other students have to answer each other's questions.

Picture of Melissa .

Just curious, what are you teaching that you want the students to race each other in how quickly they answer the questions?

Thanks, I'll have a look at it. Do you remember the name of the plugin. This is a math course and I got the idea from a person who develop games, it's supposed to increase engagement. On the downside it can lower the quality but it would be nice to see what effect it generates.

Picture of Melissa .

I don't remember the exact name.  It would either be under Activities or QType.  I think that it was Activities.

What age students are you teaching?  The reason I am asking is I was wondering if you were teaching elementary school students where it would make sense to want them to increase their speed in the basic math facts.

If it is elementary school students, I would recommend the game Timez Attack.  http://www.bigbrainz.com

It is not related to moodle at all, but it is an excellent game for learning the basic math facts.  My kids (students) loved the game, and I would never have been able to to get them to practice their math facts (repitition , repitition, repitition) without the game.

I am working on my student's activities in math right now for the next school year, and I just added a label "Timez Attack" for the first 30 lessons.  That may be too many days, but I would rather put in more days and have the students complete the game early than put in too few days and have the students feel as if they are "dumb" for not being able to finish the game in the allocated time.

You may find Timez Attack better than "can you beat my score", because they will get the game, they will get the "competition", but the game and competition are with themselves.

Melissa

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Re a plugin that allows students to create quiz questions, there is one here:

Student quiz

There is also an older plugin, looking for a maintainer, Question creation activity.

Both of these are non standard and must be installed by the admin.

And before its developer comes along to promote it, there is also a very good plugin Question practice (which doesn't involve students creating questions but is good for "drilling")

Thanks a lot for all the input, I'll go through all of them!